Xantia 1.9td problems starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sammyosw

Xantia 1.9td problems starting

Post by sammyosw »

Hello everyone. New member here! I have a T reg Xantia turbo diesel. The problem I am having is that when it is cold, it usually will start, eventually, on first turn of the key. When it is anything other than cold however, it is an absolute pain to start, most of the time not starting at all, just winding over and not even trying.

Once it is started, it runs normally, and ticks over fine. It hasn't always been like this, it used to start perfectly well always.

I have replaced the fuel filter, which I thought may cure it, but no noticeable difference has been made.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Welcome to the forum,

I presume it is the bosch diesel pump fitted. These are symptoms i had with a Bosch diesel pump on VW passet and the pump required an overhaul, ie new seals etc.

Several of us have stripped and rebulit our pumps and plenty of info that here on the forum.

Other guys on the forum will make other suggests as to the possible problems. Also It would be worth getting a session on a lexia.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

That sounds interesting as usually starting problems are when its been left for a long time and / or a cold engine.

Just to clarify, its fine when cold (ie first start of the day) but a pain when its warm ?

EDIT... The following ONLY applies if its an XUD engine, ignore if its a HDi (as that's a completely different kettle of fish, for want of a better phrase)

I thought about the leak off pipes (the small rubber pipes between the injectors and the piece that runs back to the fuel pipe) but generally this would cause poor running and / or poor starting all the time.

Assuming its ONLY a problem to start when hot, my first thought is valve clearances (although this is quite rare but they are £"$23!! to set properly if they do need doing) , but easy(ish) to just check them having said that, its just adjustment that is not very nice. Has the car overheated at any stage ? , that's one cause of them closing up (although that also causes headgasket issues) , it is rare for them to go out of clearance though on the 1.9.

Just my initial thoughts.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
sammyosw

Post by sammyosw »

No, the car has never overheated. When I say it starts fine when cold, what I mean is that it will start on first turn, but does require alot more turning than it used to, and does smoke alot, which it never used to.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

sammyosw wrote:No, the car has never overheated. When I say it starts fine when cold, what I mean is that it will start on first turn, but does require alot more turning than it used to, and does smoke alot, which it never used to.
Is it an XUD or a HDi ?

If its an XUD, check / replace the leakoff piping (the rubber piping between the injectors and the return piece (same again, thin rubber) from those to the pump. If it persists after that, replace the glowplugs.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
sammyosw

Post by sammyosw »

Thanks Andy. It's an XUD, so will try doing that next weekend.
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Your problem may also be low compresion due to worn piston rings or as spider said valve clearances.
Try turning the engine over by hand when could and again when hot to see if theres much differance.
You say it smokes a lot, is this when first started or all the time and what coulor is the smoke ?
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;