Replacing front discs and pads Xantia 90Hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Replacing front discs and pads Xantia 90Hdi

Post by rmunns »

Just did this job today. A couple of queries and suggestions....................

The new pads I got (genuine Citroen) had wear indicator wires in the box, but no sign of any on the car when I dismantled. I can't see that any were ever fitted (I'm fairly certain that the pads I removed were the originals).

I'm not all that happy with the retaining 'clevis pin?' that retains the caliper pivot pin. It seems to me that it could fall out. Should I have replaced it with a new one? Will it have lost its spring?

I needed to buy a T55 tool to undo the caliper bolts (first time theyhad been moved since 2000). Luckily I got one 100mm long, any shorter and it would have been more difficult to get in with the half-inch drive socket wrench.

Both caliper pistons screw in clockise. To screw them in I used a one inch wide cold chisel held in a socket and driven with a 3/8" wrench. The socket was held in the annulus between the centre of the piston and the outside. It needed about 10 full turns to depress the piston far enough to get the new pads in.

Cleaned the discs with acetone to degrease them.

For the first mile or two on the test the brakes felt very poor compared with the old ones. But the old ones were very nearly completely worn (outer pad 1mm; inner pad 4mm, same for offside and nearside), so had to be changed. But after a few gentle presses the brakes got much better and I'm now very happy.
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Why did I write that the pistons screw in anti-clockwise? I dunno. They, of course, screw in clockwise and you need to keep pressing as you turn.

Sorry! Should have proof-read before I submitted.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

rmunns wrote:Why did I write that the pistons screw in anti-clockwise? I dunno. They, of course, screw in clockwise and you need to keep pressing as you turn.

Sorry! Should have proof-read before I submitted.
Edited that to correct it in case anyone uses the info without seeing your correction.