risk of Filter Blocking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citrokid
My Cars:

risk of Filter Blocking

Post by citrokid »

got the above message this week on the dask and the service light on
C5 1.6 HDI year 2005
had a look with lexis ver45 , no faults, then cleared fault log and still have the message.
any ideas?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

According to the Lexia, what percentage blocked is the particle filter?

How many miles has the car got?

Ben
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
citrokid
My Cars:

Post by citrokid »

152k kilometers,
lexia says 58%
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Has it ever had a top up of the EOLYS fluid? If you're a Lexia owner look at the thread on here as some people are discussing disabling the system.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
citrokid
My Cars:

Post by citrokid »

yes last november
lexia says 19 grams of cerium in fap filter
will watch these as well
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Usually that message means you need to drive faster than 30 or 40 mph for a while. I think the manual for my 2.2 suggested it was likely in slow moving traffic.
If you have a lexia can you force a regeneration of the filter? Do you do a lot of town driving?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

mooseshaver wrote:Usually that message means you need to drive faster than 30 or 40 mph for a while. I think the manual for my 2.2 suggested it was likely in slow moving traffic.
If you have a lexia can you force a regeneration of the filter? Do you do a lot of town driving?
Forced regeneration is no fun at all and guzzles loads of fuel.

Here's a description from the Honest John forum - for Renault but the same applies.

In this case, the advice given is the same as that stated in the drivers handbook:
In order to enable the particle filter to be cleaned, we recommend that you drive the vehicle as soon as possible until the waring light goes out, at an average speed of 50mph (80km/h) providing that the following conditions allow it:
traffic conditions
legal speed limits

Regeneration typically takes about twenty minutes from the moment it starts, if the driving conditions remain favourable. The warning light or the message will then disappear. Nevertheless, if these instructions are not observed, a second warning (service warning light + Injection warning light) may appear. It is recommended in this case that the vehicle be returned to a Renault dealer as soon as possible to carry out a forced regeneration.
the whole thread
citrokid
My Cars:

Post by citrokid »

i travel about 40 miles on motorway twice daily. avg speed would be about 70 mph. very limited town driving. I will watch if I get a regen in the next few days
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Watch out for a bit of engine roughness, increased noise and a cloud of black smoke.

However the type of driving you do would seem to negate the clogging theory.
citrokid
My Cars:

Post by citrokid »

drove about 160 mils in the last 2 days. drove in 4th with rev's at about 4000 fro about 15 minutes.
checked with lexia this evening, soot load down to 33% from 58%
differential pressure at about 78 mbar with engine at 3000 revs, and fluctating with engine speed. addative lo level not reached but i still have the message "risk of filter blockage" and the service light on .
All above would indicate reasonable operation ?
Any ideas as to what should be my next course of action?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The car tries to know what sort of driving you do. Perhaps it's just confused. I'd disconnect the battery for 10 mins and see if that changes anything.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

citrokid wrote:drove about 160 mils in the last 2 days. drove in 4th with rev's at about 4000 fro about 15 minutes.
checked with lexia this evening, soot load down to 33% from 58%
differential pressure at about 78 mbar with engine at 3000 revs, and fluctating with engine speed. addative lo level not reached but i still have the message "risk of filter blockage" and the service light on .
All above would indicate reasonable operation ?
Any ideas as to what should be my next course of action?
I wouldn't have thought that those figures were high enough to give a warning, however temporary faults often require three run start cycles before the message gets cleared. Clear the error with the Lexia and see what happens.
If all else fails you have a Lexia therefore you can run a forced regen just make sure the back of the car is clear before you do.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
citrokid
My Cars:

Post by citrokid »

however temporary faults often require three run start cycles before the message gets cleared. Clear the error with the Lexia and see what happens.
can you explain three run start cycles , I cannot find any errors with the lexia that relate to these faults
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

citrokid wrote:
however temporary faults often require three run start cycles before the message gets cleared. Clear the error with the Lexia and see what happens.
can you explain three run start cycles , I cannot find any errors with the lexia that relate to these faults
Any fault which occurs will should get latched into the ECU error memory this fault will also set the service light and also set a message such as "Anti Pollution" fault. (C5)
For each start the ECU logic will check the error memory and then check if the fault is still present, sometime after starting if the fault is not present and does not re-occur a counter is incremented when the counter equals three it will cancel the service light and any associated messages. The fault remains in the error matrix and when the ECU is read with a Lexia the Lexia will flag it as a Temporary Fault.

I just had a thought the above refers to a Bosch system I think that the 1.6 has a Siemens system so what goes for the Bosch system may not apply.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
citrokid