Moist Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Moist Xantia

Post by Stempy »

I had occasion to lift the rear seats today and found the underside to be damp, not what I'd call wet, more like heavy condensation. Anyone else had this or know the cause.

Dried out now as it's been warm.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy,

Look right under the seat wells, under the carpet (or the extension of the boot carpet).

I'll bet my bottom dollar it's damp there too.

Expect the boot floor sound deadening to be damp.

If you have a sunroof, check the drains. Feel the headlining by the C pillars and feel for damp.

Check the roof rack bracket tapped holed under the rubber gutters above the door seals; check they're fully blanked off and the original taping has not perished. Water can get in here and I've had it happen. See my blog!

Since filling said bracket holes with silicone, I find my Activa is dry again despite heavv rain.

Check too the rear light gaskets.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Ahh genius :idea:

I reckon it could well be the roof rack bolt holes as I recently gleaned an original Citroen rack and I seem to remember the instructions telling you to refit the bolts when the rack is removed, which I ignored. Will fit bolts tomorrow :D
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
bigblackfalco
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDI 2009 230K Miles (current), Citroen Xantia Estate 1.9 TD 1996 SX, Citroen ZX 1.9 TD 1995, Peugeot 604 2.7 V6 STI 1983 (past).

Post by bigblackfalco »

I have this problem with my Estate, but I thought it was where the rear boot surround rubber had deformed and water that drained out the boot door was getting inside the surround seal.

I will check the roof rack track for holes!
58 plate (2009) C5 Tourer 2.0 HDi VTR+
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

bigblackfalco wrote:I have this problem with my Estate, but I thought it was where the rear boot surround rubber had deformed and water that drained out the boot door was getting inside the surround seal.

I will check the roof rack track for holes!
Estates aren't likely to leak from the rails.
On the hatchbacks, they have threaded holes covered by latex in the side of the roof, covered by the closed doors.
Once the latex is broken, you need to keep the holes blocked with the bolts used to secure the roof bars.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Xac wrote:Estates aren't likely to leak from the rails...
I agree.

In an Estate case I would bet on the tailgate plastic membrane (behind the trim) :roll:
Next it would be rear lights at the corners.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

VertVega wrote:
Xac wrote:Estates aren't likely to leak from the rails...
I agree.

In an Estate case I would bet on the tailgate plastic membrane (behind the trim) :roll:
Next it would be rear lights at the corners.
Or the high-level brake light, which is retained by two screws - if you (or someone-else) has in the past attempted to just pull it out, it's likely that the light will be broken and you'll have to use silicone to seal it.

It's essential that the tailgate membrane makes a perfectly water-tight seal all the way round. The best stuff is whatever Citroen originally used (anyone know?), though I've had to resort to copious amount of ordinary silly-cone. Getting the membrane correctly positioned and then sealed perfectly and securely all the way round is a right whatsit. :evil:

If you have to use anything that takes time to set, then DO NOT SLAM the tailgate (or fit the interior trim) until you are sure it's 'gone-off' completely. Trust me, I know from bitter experience that you'll have to start again from scratch.

Because Xantia estates are so prone to tailgate leaks, I've become a trifle obsessive - parking on a slope, I go to the trouble to park the car facing up the slope.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Old-Guy wrote:... It's essential that the tailgate membrane makes a perfectly water-tight seal all the way round. The best stuff is whatever Citroën originally used (anyone know?), ...
That's true! Membrane must be water-tight, how do I know :roll:

This is the sealer which I used. It proved to be excellent!
I had to open the membrane several times (lock and wiper motor) and the same sealant is still fine.

Here's a picture of the 3M roll, prod.no 08611 Cordon Butyle Collage Pare-Brise

cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

VertVega wrote:
Old-Guy wrote:... It's essential that the tailgate membrane makes a perfectly water-tight seal all the way round. The best stuff is whatever Citroën originally used (anyone know?), ...
That's true! Membrane must be water-tight, how do I know :roll:

This is the sealer which I used. It proved to be excellent!
I had to open the membrane several times (lock and wiper motor) and the same sealant is still fine.

Here's a picture of the 3M roll, prod.no 08611 Cordon Butyle Collage Pare-Brise
Oh! Oh! where did you buy that from and how much was it?
please tell

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

back when I had an estate and also had the same problem, I resealed it with W4 caravan bedding mastic, the stuff used to bed joints and awning rails on touring 'vans.

It comes in rolls in the same way as the 3M stuff shown by VertVega and is very readily available from your local caravan dealer.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

cachaciero wrote: Oh! Oh! where did you buy that from and how much was it?
Here's one link from UK with the Price: £19.70 for a 10 m roll --> 3M butyl-strip-sealant

As CitroJim said there are similar products available on the market and they can be even cheaper than this one.
I think the best part of this product is that it is a roll and can easily be formed (like a Bostik Blu-Tac).

After several opening/closing of membrane, it stayed as a good sealant