Common faults on the C4?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob_e (UK)
My Cars:

Common faults on the C4?

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

I am currently looking to get a new car and had decided on the C4, specifically the 2.0HDi; the exclusive would be nice but the 2litre seems rare enough in any trim level; so far I have only managed to find a couple of VTR Plus models to look at, but those still have quite a few accessories on them and the 6 speed gearbox.
Are there any common faults I should look for on these? I noticed on two out of three I looked at the tab on the front jacking point was slightly bend, I guess from being jacked up while not on level ground; is this fairly common/ a weak point, on the C4.
Also should the VIN number br printed/stamped anywhere else on the car other than displayed in the corner of the windscreen?

Thanks,
Rob
1989 White BX 1.9GTi 8v (Now awaiting some repair)
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

Hi Rob,

We have had a '55 2.0HDI Exclusive C4 (2nd owners) for almost 3 years (mainly driven by my wife).

Here are our experiences and comments:

1. Very hard suspension with 17" wheeels and you feel every little bump in the road (+ expensive Michelin Exalto tyres unless you switch to another tyre brand - I fitted Vredestein equivalents from Camskill). I can't wait to get back in my comfy XM after a C4 journey.

2.Broken rear springs - unfortunately common across many makes these days. I have replaced one.

3. Alloy wheel pitting corrosion - 4 wheels stripped and recoated for free after complaining to Citroen (car was just out of 3 year warranty).

4. False? alarm fault messages which disappear of their own accord eg 'Depollution System Faulty' - may be related in my case to a faulty fuel cap proximity switch. Intermittent rear parking sensor fault (genuine).

5. Blocked / displaced air con drain leading to soggy front footwell. Look under the carpet by lifting one of the plastic hold down screws as the wetness is not immediately obvious.

6. Powerful brakes but a very sensitive brake pedal which requires a light touch and takes time to get used to.

7. I think jacking points get damaged mostly by careless tyre fitters using their universal hoists, witness the bent jacking points on my XM. Our C4 is OK so far.

8. Sagging / detachment of the trim which clips onto the bottom edge of the windscreen glass (crap design!!) allowing rain and muck to get into the bulkhead area.

9. Sorry can't remember where the VIN plate is. The number may also be stamped along the wing / bonnet channel. I will look tomorrow in the daylight.

10. Tallish people tend to regularly bump their head getting in the front particularly if the seats are well forward.

Hope this helps - good luck in your search.
Ken Hall
seisporting

Post by seisporting »

Window finisher seals on the front doors seem liable to come loose/fall off, rear fog lights on 3 doors are'ne held in well and fall out with not much persuasion, engine mounts on 1.6d dont seem the strongest.
Yhe 1.6 hdi is a cracking engine though, almost revs like a petrol, test drove a 1.6 hdi vtr + and a petrol 2.0 vts one and i much prefered the VTS, needs revving to get anything out of it though.
Lovely leather interior if you can find one with it fitted, climate control looks much nicer than the manua a/c but both seem just as effective.
Rear hub bearings quite common also and come with rear discs.
Saxo VTR.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

seisporting wrote:Yhe 1.6 hdi is a cracking engine though, almost revs like a petrol, .... i much prefered the VTS, needs revving to get anything out of it though.
And this the reason that modern diesels are not as good as their forebears.

To me, one of the delights of a good turbodiesel is bering able to leave the gearlever alone for much of the time and accelerate away meanigfully from not much more than tickover.

Almost revs like a petrol? That's an insult to me!!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
seisporting

Post by seisporting »

I guess it depends how you like to drive?
Saxo VTR.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

There is a dedicated website for the C4:

www.c4owners.org

These guys really do have all the gen and more :wink:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

C4 VIN plate is down in the engine compartment attached to the offside chassis member (not immediately obvious).

The mention of rear wheel bearing problems jogged my memory - our C4 has one which is whining a bit.

As suggested above the C4 forum has a wealth of info dedicated to this model. I got the aircon blocked drain fix info from here.
Ken Hall
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

Look out for the exterior door handles sticking when used, all/any of the doors do this but it's easy to cure, squealing rear brakes isn't uncommon, faulty heating can be an issue too, it sometimes shows up as one side blowing hot & the other side blowing cold into the footwells. Sticking gloveboxe lids is quite common too, it's caused by 'dubious design' shall we say, it happens when something thicker than a biro gets placed to the left of the glovebox lid & then closed, anything 'wide' then jams up against the fusebox (bsi) access panel and forces the bottom of the glovebox lid out of it's L/H lower pivot hinge thus jamming it. I've come across a few with broken headlights too, this is caused by the fact that the front bumpers are not very strong thus distort upon impact & the next solid object after the bumper is the headlight, consequently the mountings tend to get broken fairly easily. The remote has a pop out style key blade & these tend to break after a while too + the buttons on the remote's them selves are non too 'hard wearing'. It may sound obvious but if you buy a car with alloys do make sure you get the locking wheel bolt key too.
Music keeps me going.