Sudden loss of LHM when ?pipe disconnected while tunring lef

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

Sudden loss of LHM when ?pipe disconnected while tunring lef

Post by Malcolm »

Just lost all my LHM when A pipe disonnected. I was turning left when I heard a loud bang and instantly the steering became heavy, The LHM was all over the road leaking from the front nearside of the car. On closer inspection a thick rubber pipe coming from below the accumulator sphere has disconnected from a female connector on a small metal pipe ( similar to Brake pipe) Can anyone tell me what this pipe should be connected to, what it is called, can it be reapired, or do i need to replace it ? help!!!!!

more info. I managed to limp the mile back home but had no brakes by the time I pulled onto the drive. The car does not appear to have sunk. I was already planning to replace the spheres, as this is a new vehicle to me and i determined theyn would need changing at time of purchase.
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It sounds like the feed pipe to the PAS has failed. This is a known weak spot on the MK2.... :cry: Unfortunately the pipe is one piece (from pump to rack) and dealer only - the rubber section is required to damp out the pulses from the pump. It's not cheap (around £100) and a bit of a PITA to fit :twisted:

Bad luck :roll:

Ooops, just looked up the prices...bit more than I thought (yours is a 1.9TD right?):

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT
00004023G4 HYDRAULIC TUBE 178.40 GBP 209.62 GBP 209.62 GBP

00004023H1 HYDRAULIC TUBE 148.59 GBP 174.59 GBP 174.59 GBP

G4 is without AC, H1 with.

Oddly the HDi ones are half the price, wonder if they would fit.... :?:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh :shock:

they've gone up. Had to replace this pope on Rattiva the Activa and the cost was £132.

You're right Richard, the job is a PITA. And indeed, that rubber section is critically necessary.

Now, unproved but worth a punt. Go to a scrappy and obtain a good rubber section with a reasonable amount of good metal pipe at each end.

Then cut the old, burst section out and braze in the new section.

best way to braze is to open out the cut ends so that a short length of 4.5mm tube will slip inside to act as a strengthening piece, then braze it all up. Cleanliness is absolutely essential. The bore of the 4.5mm pipe will not adversely affect performance.

The self fluxing rods you can get at Halfrauds and the like will do the job as long as you can get enough heat on the job. A decent propane torch with a small burner will normally do the job. If you can get the steel pipes glowing cherry red then the braze will take.

As I say, I've not tried this in anger, only on a couple of sphere testers and it was fine.

Worth a punt given the cost of a new pipe...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks guys for the info. It appears that the metal pipe has been changed, after an MOT advisory, thus the damage to the union on end of rubber pipe blowing off.

By the way it was my beloved - Jen who had this problem, investigated and posted this Topic to see if there was a quick resolution. She originally was of the opinion it would just push back in!!!! If only.
Malcolm
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

When LHM went other day, Jenny was handed a hose pipe immediately and rinsed thoroughly.Just had a phone call from friend whos house Jen was at when pipe went - adopted road and it's destroyed tarmac.

S**t happens!!!

Is this usual?

Will my car insurance meet cost of this repair work required?

After a call to insurance co. they say it was mechanlcal failure not an accident so NO! But having a July MOT, the vehicle was officially OK, so if brakes had failed and run into another vehicle there would be a claim for car and surely damage to road would also be covered. i.e. both third parties. BTW - I have done nothing i.e. maintainance on vehicle so it's not as if it's something I'd done!
Malcolm
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi I had this problem with mine and the cost of a new pipe made me weld a brake pipe end on to the rubber hose metal end piece , although yours appears to have lost the end . Try a hydraulic hose repair place like hydrasun or phone up a JCB hire place and ask who repairs theirs . Hope this helps. John.
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks for that John. As you say, a hydraulic repair man would be a good place to start. I'll let you know how it goes.
Malcolm
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi Martin, Don't know if its true but I've been told it's illegal to put a join in an existing hydraulic hose.