Silly Question 406 Wipers

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Silly Question 406 Wipers

Post by OwenP »

Right I know this is really silly, but how do I change the front wipers on a 51 reg 406 estate?

I have looked around at various bits on the net and so far the only suggestion seems to be to unbolt the whole wiper arm.

Is there an easier way? If not are the bolts captive or do I need to try and catch them when undoing the nut at the top?

Cheers in advance.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Your just wanting to change the wiper blades?

They should just unclip in the normal wiper fashion. I dint think a 51reg will have the later style aero wipers?

If the wiper arms are obstructed by the bonnet and can not be lifted up to gain access in order to change the blades, like on the C5, turn on the ignition, then turn it off and press once down on the wiper stalk, this should move the wipers to the top of the screen and park there.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The arms may not lift off the screen by more than an inch regardless of position, due to the design.

There's a special type of clip you get with genuine ones to let you fit them easily, this clip design is great anyway I like to use it on others where possible as it securely locks them (I don't have any at the moment nor a pic)

Basically (as above) stop them in the middle of the screen if it helps, and lift the clip up and push it off. Very difficult to put into words.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Its the stopping the wipers in the middle of the screen that seems to be the problem, whenever I try to get them stopped they auto return.

I can see how the clip should work ( I think) it is just getting enough clearance to do it, will go and have another go at getting them to stop mid swipe though.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Just realised I posted at about the same time as Citroenmad , sorry :)

I would not worry too much if they do not stop in the middle, I always used to just open the bonnet and then change them in the parked position, with the bonnet open you get enough clearance.

Some designs of clips are better than others. But not being able to lift the arms more than an inch off the screen is quite normal. You don't really need to lift them at all really.

Be aware though, some wipers clips (24 or 22 on a 406 if I remember correctly ?) are not really suitable as their design relies on you being able to lift the arm up. In this case, you may have to re-use the old clips if they are in a good enough condition.

I used to get people in with 'generic' cheap blades and they could not fit them due to the supplied clip design, at the time I had loads of the real clips spare from changing them anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Well I feel a right idiot now. Managed to get the wipers to stop part-way by not using the "intermittant" setting, and then found one of the clips was jammed on, giving it the impression of being more difficult than it was. :oops:

Thanks for the (very fast) help guys.