Won't be driving the Citroén much anymore... :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Won't be driving the Citroén much anymore... :(

Post by Xantia2.0 »

Well after a trip to the doctors early this morning he advised me not to drive a manual car... Well a few years ago I was involved in a cycling accident, and badly injured my left knee, ever since it has been very temperamental and sometimes I am in agony with it. And that was what the previous doctors appointment was about if anyone is bothered/wondering! So I barely got down there today as the Citroéns clutch is quite heavy and my leg was killing me. But I did and that's when he said I should stop/cut back driving manuals. So cut a long story short my friend breaks cars for parts, but he usually has a few whole cars for sale, so I went down to look at a few and ended up buying a White 1991 Porsche 928 5.0 V8 Automatic in mint condition. So I will be driving that as my main car as my left leg will be superfluous in driving it, exactly what the doctor ordered (Literally!). Oh well, maybe it is a good thing, I thought having to drive an automatic would be boring, but quite the opposite! Driving that big 5 Litre Porsche every day will be a pleasure :), after all, I am a business man, and a 90's Porsche is the original business mans car!

I will keep the Xantia, but it will only be a weekend driver from now on I'm afraid :(

As for the Focus it will probably be the same.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Over and out.
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

So sorry to see you go :bigcry:

ok bye
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Re: Won't be driving the Citroén much anymore... :(

Post by Sl4yer »

Xantia2.0 wrote:...1991 Porsche 928 5.0 V8 Automatic...
Great choice! A 928 is my dream car. I'm guessing a 1991 model will be a S4, so great looking too!

Just keep an eye on the temperature gauge - a 928 really must run at the right temperature!

Hope the knee feels better soon.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have arthritis in my knees so appreciate your problem, the XM clutches being execptionally heavy, really needing both feet! I have had a stroke of luck with my last purchase as it has a featherlite clutch, I dont know why, it shouldn't, I suspect its been fitted with the wrong clutch but works perfectly, it was new just before I bought it but hasn't got any heavier in two years.

Peter
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

Yep it's the S4! :)
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Xantia2.0 wrote:Yep it's the S4! :)
Great! The back lights look so much neater than the earlier ones, and of course each one gets a little more power. :D

Beware the running costs though. A chap who used to work with me had one in the past. Before he bought it, a squeak in the gearbox (actually some sort of small band) cost about £2000! And his sun blind was missing - he was quoted about £800, but opted not to bother... But get a good one and they're supposedly not too bad.

Hope it runs well. :)

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Cor :P Bit of a change from a Xantia 8-)

I too have an occasionally very dodgy left knee and love my automatic for the rest it give said knee :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Won't be driving the Citroén much anymore... :(

Post by Homer »

Xantia2.0 wrote:Well after a trip to the doctors early this morning he advised me not to drive a manual car... Well a few years ago I was involved in a cycling accident, and badly injured my left knee, ever since it has been very temperamental and sometimes I am in agony with it.
I hope you've had more than just your GP look at this.

I had problems with my knees for a few years and kept going to the GP with it, each time I saw a different GP and they'd tell me to "rest and exercise" :roll: and take ibuprofen until finally one referred me for physio. The physio found my flat feet and weak hips were putting too much pressure on my knees. Six months of targetted exercise later and I was virtually pain free. I still know I have a problem but I know what I need to do to keep things in check.

Slightly off topic for a car forum but I'd hate to see someone suffer needlessly like I did.
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

Well for 1 year after the accident I was attending hospital appointments every second week, and they basically said the same thing, rest and don't drive, but if you have to drive, drive an automatic!! At the time I had an automatic 1991 Ford Scorpio 2.0 so I was driving again in a matter of days, but it was at least 5 months before I could even attempt to drive a manual.

Although the Porsche is fun to drive, I'm already dying to drive a manual again! I just hate how an auto shifts for you, I want to rev the nuts of an engine THEN shift :(

Since I passed my test I've only owned 1 automatic, and that was at the same time as a 1994 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Manual, so I drove that most of the time. I've never really been dependant on an automatic...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well, a 928 is not your normal automatic runabout! Quite a change from a Xantia too.

You should get a tiptronic automatic, then you can still change gear yourself if you like - with the gearstick or paddles, but still only have two pedals and an auto mode it you want it. A good way around it.

I like driving autos from time to time, its nice to have a break and they are a doddle in traffic.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Nice car!

So this will be a distraction, and allow you more time to do the pads on the Xantia, you won't have to Porsche :wink: yourself to do the job too quickly, and take several breaks. :wink: :wink:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

ACTIVE8 wrote:
Nice car!

So this will be a distraction, and allow you more time to do the pads on the Xantia, you won't have to Porsche :wink: yourself to do the job too quickly, and take several breaks. :wink: :wink:
Haha nice play with words!

Citroenmad - I hate tiptronics even more than autos!! Their slow on reacting and feel numb! Plus, the whole point of a manual is to push the clutch, release the accelerator, yank the lever into position, let go of the clutch and rev the throttle again :)
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

If you hate auto's so much you really should try Volkswagens DSG gearbox.

It's a double clutch gearbox so it has the next gear ready before you request it.

Gearchanges are done within 1/10th of a second and they are seemlessly smooth.

The DSG has 4 driving modes, Normal Auto, Sport Auto which makes them hold the gears like there's no tomorrow - it's vicious but great fun, Tiptronic, or with the paddles on the steering wheel.

The DSG box is actually a manual box but the gearchange is controlled by computers. I had it on my R32 and it was phenomenal.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I know what you mean, but for me the semi-autos get rid of some of the things i dislike about automatic cars. Such as having to do a certain speed to get into the next gear etc. With a tip tronic you can select the gear you like, when you like. And actually if you ease off during changes they are quick enough and smooth.

The DSG is a great box and id have to think hard about buying a manual over a DSG gearbox, as they are very good boxes.

A manual car is usually about selecting which gear you want, a semi-auto allows you to do that, but without the need to press the clutch. I enjoy not having a clutch when stuck in crawling traffic.

There are draw backs to them both though, id take a manual car over an auto or semi-auto, but they are pretty good and its nice to drive an auto from time to time.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

I actually like a clutch in traffic.