Lots of Black smoke but not so much go

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Lots of Black smoke but not so much go

Post by citroenxm »

Hi All...

Im useually quite ok at solving problems, but I have a small issue with my Xantia, Car is my daily, 1.9 XUD9te, Turbo D, with 233k... Never touched any internals, just the useual cam belt and water pump when needed...

However, after a recent Injection pump replacment due to a shaft leak, Ive noticed a bit of exhaust smoke, but not so much go....

I have to say she was a bit like this with the older pump.. I beleve Ive got the Fuel Screw in around the correct place, but I feel there should be a slightly better shove then Im getting. She tends to die on hills, and I have to change gear, useually 3rd...

Im guessing this is leading to Lack of Air in the engine to burn all the fuel...

Could this be either 1. A poor Turbo performance, or 2. Inlet valve clearences closing up, or opening now alowing air into the engine...

Any opnions/thoughts??

Thanks
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though the pump timing could be retarded Paul, is it running quieter than you would expect?

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd agree Peter, timing is a good first check and it is pretty critical.

I normal set it so that you can hear just a hint of "tinkle" of pinking on hot idle. This should entirely disappear as soon as the engine is revved and it should rev very freely.

Advance it until it is just knocking a little on acceleration and then back it off a bit until it does not.

It's hard to describle in words. Shame my ears can't type this...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A reference video on 'You tube' Jim? :D
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

This may sound daft, but have you checked your air intack filter isnt blocked? or that the connecting tubes aren't squashing when revving the engine? I had the same problem on my old Bx and it was the air intake pipe being sucked together when revving.
Take the air filter out and clean the box when on your drive. Start the engine and see if it smokes, if it does its not the filter.
Worth a try
Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

Well I used to have a 1994 Peugeot 405 1.9 TD (exactly same engine as yours) and I had the same thing when my Turbo went out. Only at the very very last stages though. But it was more of a Dark-Blue than black.
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.