Partner starting troubles

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bildo

Partner starting troubles

Post by bildo »

Hello, I bought my Peugeot partner van a few months ago and so far it has served me well until the other day for seemingly no apparent reason the engine cut out and left me stranded for the night.

The engine would start, turn over but die after a couple of revs. It starts well but only for a few seconds.
There is a red light on most of the time next to the coolant temp gauge but there is enough coolant. The engine will start when this light is off but the light comes on immediately as it cuts out.

After draining the battery trying to start the thing i noticed when the sun came up that there was a crack on the negative battery terminal.

I put a screw through the connector so it touched the battery terminal, got a jump start and this seemed to solve the problem.
I went straight to a parts shop for a new battery connector and fitted it straight away and the van started fine. Just a loose battery connection.

A few days later the engine cut out again, thankfully in my driveway, but the same symptoms persist.
Red light on next to coolant level, engine starts, turns over and cuts out. The battery is brand new and definately connected properly. The only thing I can think of is either a problem with the fuel pump or filter or possibly even the immobiliser. If i let the engine rest for 10 mins it will start quicker and run slightly longer until it cuts out suggesting residue in the fuel maybe. I've not had a diesel engine before so I'm at a bit of a loss to guess really.

Is this a common problem? Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Bildo,

Welcome!

It would help us enormously to know the year of your Partner and if you can, the engine type...

The possible causes of your problem is dependent upon this information and without knowing them, only very general information could be given, which may not be helpful.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...