My 306 xud tuning project

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

con67

My 306 xud tuning project

Post by con67 »

Hello everybody! :D
Got this wee car for free with pump trouble a few years back, bit rough but sailed through the mot and the 'trouble' was a missing woodruff key on the ip pulley :lol: Only bothered with the thing as my other so called good car was getting destroyed by my workwear and generally just taking it to work. 3 months after getting the 3-0 I hadnt drove my mint cavalier sri at all, loved the little french can too much it out paced and out handled the cav by a mile so sold the cav.
Tuned the pump and turbo and it went great but I got bored fast then my mate blew it up when I lent it to him :roll:
Here she is with me and the baby:
con67

Post by con67 »

So I wanted to put the car back otr better than before, otherwise it wouldnt be worth it, tried a gt15 this time with fmic on the new engine, lots of torque but no real power/legs imho. So I started to read about diesel tuning in prep for a big build, first up was learning the difference between di and idi then getting more from the bosch pump.
I rebuilt a pump many times over before it was right but basically it ended up a 22mm shaft 306 casing, 11mm head/plunger, modified advance piston for more travel and shimed governor spring, heres some pics:
Engine with head off:
Pump mods:
Governor
11mm head assembly from transit:
Plunger difference:
Swapped gt15 for k03 for temporary as it flows more supposedly?:
Also fitted a hdi gearbox but cant find pics :shock: quick vid of how it went then:
http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv66 ... dturbo.flv
Last edited by con67 on 27 Aug 2010, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
con67

Post by con67 »

Next up was the turbo, got a mercedes k14 from an om606 engine in work, measured it up and it appeared to be a 51trim k14 8-) They are tiny for the om606 but I recon it could push 200+ on 1.9idi if it managed to do so on a chiptuned 200+bhp 3L idi! I got a mate in a machine shop to bore out the pug hotside so the cartridge fitted in and I could use the original mani and downpipe. He did a great job and with small grinding etc it was a bolt on fit to the xud :D
Heres the 2 turbos:
The modified hotside:
Near ready for on:
I also went back to tmic and added w/m injection before the turbo went on, will upload pics soon!
Last edited by con67 on 27 Aug 2010, 13:06, edited 2 times in total.
con67

Post by con67 »

Finally........had it on the dyno last week, theres loads left in the pump and clean as whistle on boost smokewise but want a new engine before anymore pushing as this one was wasnt great before I fitted the turbo!! It pressurises the coolant system and has been doing so for some months now but its taking the power/abuse well imo:
Yes that is 172bhp @4100rpm and the water/meth wasnt even on/plumbed in! Going to back to the rollers 1 more time with it on before the new engine is ready just to see if I can double the standard power lol
HDI Dave

Post by HDI Dave »

Nice one,looks like a good job/inginuetey, 8-)

I had a basic 1.9 non turbo pug diesel and it was dog slow,

con67 wrote: Yes that is 172bhp @4100rpm and the water/meth wasnt even on/plumbed in! Going to back to the rollers 1 more time with it on before the new engine is ready just to see if I can double the standard power lol
What is the standard bhp for your car, and how much do you think you'll get out of it? Either way, looks like a good project :wink:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Dommo

Post by Dommo »

Con - always been a fan of your engine work on pug306.net!

HDi Dave - it's a 90hp engine as standard :lol:
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hi Conor,

Just one question - any idea what your wheel HP/TQ is?
con67

Post by con67 »

Mike I'm near sure the hdi box and wheels are 17% loss from crank??
Cheers for the comments!
con67

Post by con67 »

Well shes broke an engine mount after some abuse :? I drove on home and it seems the bolts that hold the alloy bracket to the block have sheared as well resulting in the bracket lying against the ip pulley and timing belt, defo didnt jump timing, hmm dont know what to do.......the other parts of the bolts are in the block still I'm sure......now driving her straight d 306 again :cry:
con67

Post by con67 »

Not much to update other than bought a set of lasers (xsi wheels) and found and paid a deposit on what I think is a genuine real early model 120k (barely run in imo) xantia d8b. I heard it running and reved it before I payed and I'm quite impressed by its response and smoothness (for an xud of course!)
The plan is fit this next week or so with my pump and turbo then use the dhx pistons, rods and precups for modification.
The internal mod ideas so far is a thermal barrier ceramic coating on the piston crowns, a specail lube coating on the piston skirts and finally another tbc on the insides of the precups. I'm in 2 minds about lowering the cr? been reading conflicting info and to do this properly it seems it will need done in side the precups which is a little behond me. May try the main chambers on the piston crown dont know yet. Rods seem a weak spot on these so they will be cryo'd and maybe shot peened.
I'm hoping by increasing the thermal efficiency/strength of the little xud I can break 200hp and maintain/increase reliability using nearly the current fuel,boost levels and rpm range. This should also push me well past 50mpg so results of ceramics could be of interest to others. Will get lots of pics when work commences.
edit AND OF COURSE I'm going to uprate all engine mounts and gear linkage rods, possible full polybush of the suspension lol