Float not moving

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lesliebear
My Cars:

Float not moving

Post by lesliebear »

Hi All. Newbie here with R reg Xantia TD est Be gentle. Lhm float is hard against the top of the sight glass.Done all the usual banging and tapping. It just sinks and then returns to the top, This is with the suspension on high. Done the full monty on the system, all new spheres, drain ,flush, refill, bled brakes and right amount of new fluid Car now rides carpet-like and rises and lowers as it should. Float replaced but still floats to the top. Does the lhm drain dramatically from the tank to allow the float to drop. Was like this when i bought the car 6 months ago. Could it be air in the system and am i riding on air instead of fluid. Bled braking system right through and wasted plenty of new green stuff but still same. Strange or what.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though its just overfull to me.

Peter
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

At the risk of pointing out the obvious...

The LHM level must be checked with the engine running. Set the height control lever to HIGH (fully back), and wait for the car to stop rising, which will take around 20 seconds.

The middle of the orange 'flying saucer' should then be between the two marks of the sight glass. Personally, I try not to fill to maximum to reduce leakage.

As all Xantias are now getting a little elderly, if the reservoir is (over) full, LHM leaks out around the big seal in the top of the reservoir. It doesn't do any harm, just makes a mess as dirt sticks to the LHM.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
lesliebear
My Cars:

Post by lesliebear »

Thanks for that bud, will follow that up tomorrow and let you know.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when the tank is filled to the corect level you will see the fluid still at around half way up the tank

regards malcolm