Xsara HDi braking noise?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quinny
My Cars:

Xsara HDi braking noise?

Post by Quinny »

I bought the wife a 90bhp HDi last month and set about changing the following:

Front discs and pads
n/s/f spring
Virtually new front tyres

And earlier this week, new rear pads. ( I have new discs but haven't got round to changing them yet.)

Now the car has sailed through it's mot today, but under braking I still have wheel wobble, and also there is a noise which sounds like a deep grinding/joint that needs greasing at the same time, and it's in keeping with a revolution of the wheels.

I know it's impossible to describe without hearing it, but any ideas?
99 406 HDi. (Mine)
02 Xsara HDi. (The gaffers.)
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Xsara HDi braking noise?

Post by Paul-R »

Quinny wrote:And earlier this week, new rear pads. ( I have new discs but haven't got round to changing them yet.)
I've just done the discs and pads on the back of my Xsara. It's a shame that you didn't do the discs at the same time as they really are easy to fit.

First you slacken off the countersunk screw (securing the disc to the hub) using the footbrake to hold the disc still if necessary. Then, when the pads are out you just manoevre the old disc out, slide the new one in and replace the screw. It really is that simple.
Quinny wrote:Now the car has sailed through it's mot today, but under braking I still have wheel wobble, and also there is a noise which sounds like a deep grinding/joint that needs greasing at the same time, and it's in keeping with a revolution of the wheels.
First, identify whether it's the front or rear. If it's the rear check that there's not some rust flakes fallen down somewhere between disc and pads. Check for the same on the front.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Quinny
My Cars:

Post by Quinny »

99.9% certain it's the front end, and I wonder if it could be a bearing, although you would hear a knackered bearing at all speeds, not just under braking.

Would have done the rear discs, but time, and the fact one of the grub screws wasn't playing ball stopped me replacing the discs, but hopefully will do them tomorrow. Will probably have to go and get some new grub screws from the local Peugeot dealer, (Citroen too far away.) as the one mentioned is in so tight, the head started to strip, as they always do.
99 406 HDi. (Mine)
02 Xsara HDi. (The gaffers.)