recon radiator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

recon radiator

Post by wotwot »

Just taken the xantia on holiday to liverpool from essex,It drove an absolute dream even though i got stuck on the M6 and took 6 hours to get to their (240 miles).I hate that B!OODY M6.Anyway on a short trip out whilst i was their i pulled up at a supermarket to get shopping,came out to find my xantia decided it was stressed out and weed in the car park,after a quick telling off and a look under the bonnet it looked like it had come from the overflow pipe (should have checked properly) :D
Topped her up half a pint of her favorite tippel H2O :roll: all was fine for the rest of the holiday,Even after her accident in the supermarket car park I took her to blackpool pleasure beach 120 mile round trip she just loves being parked under the big one (pepsi max).Set off friday night at 8 pm at 11.45 I was in chelmsford putting the keetle on (240 miles).I was going to crack a bottle of babycham over the car but I,m sure she would,nt have liked the dent in her wing :wink: ,so instead marvelled at the fuel consumption £25 £1.15 per litre 240 miles,and she was held at a steady 75 most of the way home.
Anyway went out saturday morning and she is deciding to throw water out like its going out of fashion :cry: ,I can see it running out at the bottom of the rad,had to put some bars leaks doggy turd in just to get by till I can source another rad,Never over heated in fact runs at about 70 unless in traffic then runs at 80.Very strange under the pressure of the run home she did'nt eject all her water on the M6 A14 M11 motorways.
A couple of points to this long read.

1- after reading a post on someone running there xantia at a very low temp!!! what temp should my turbo diesel run at,I thought about 80.

2- anyone know of a good source for rads either second hand or refurb.

Thanks for your time reading my little tale but after having acquired the car in a somewhat unroadwothy condition and doing about £190 worth of work on her (front spheres x3, front pads, back pads, 2 tyres, lower ball joint, 2 drop links,rear height reg, cambelt kit aux belt.these cars are a more than capable mode of transport and able to do 750 miles on holiday at the drop of a hat.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I have found Rads from "Autokool" to be fantastic value, and are useualy Alloy ones:

http://www.discount-cooling.co.uk/CITRO ... ators.html

You get a choice of Rads, Ive always found the "Middle" priced ones to be very good!

aul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

My local scappers does them for £30 but for just over double i could get a recon unit good value for money,thanks for the link.Money is really tight (unemployed) at the moment but i might see if i can sell a kidney or something to get a recon unit.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Still worth checking what's on offer from the scrappy - a few years ago, I picked up a brand new and genuine Xantia rad for £15. I presume that the previous owner must have fitted it when prepping the car for MOT, which it subsequently failed.