306 td oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wiggie_me

306 td oil leak

Post by wiggie_me »

iv had a look threw old post and couldnt find much.

i have a pug 306 td leaking quite abit of oil (making a mess) the whole rear of the engine is covered in oil but i gave it a wipe down and it apears to be coming from around where you can see the flywheel by the flywheel speed sensor.

any one had this before?,im prety shour thats a big job?
thanks
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Is it underneath leaking or is the leak higher up and spread (be aware driving = air / wind under car spreading oil about making it difficult to say)

Could be rear main (rear crank seal) if its around flywheel area, although they don't (to me at least) go "really" bad unless you are unlucky. You will see it underneath around the tin plate on the bellhousing if this is the case, it will probably be dripping :(

Higher up there's obviously the cam seal (vacuum pump end) although not having one of the 'bolt on' pump types I'm not sure how likely that is, the early engines with a belt drive vac pump would leak from here and rocker cover.

Obviously head gasket oil leaks are possible too, as well as things like the oil return pipe (from the turbo)

You say you've given it a wipe over. Grab yourself an aerosol of clutch / brake cleaner or something and wash it off around any joins, let it dry. Then run the engine for a little bit and see if anything has started to come out again. It is worth taking a bit of time to clean the likely area's up (at this stage, just around the leakage points) and then be sure where.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
wiggie_me

Post by wiggie_me »

hey spider cheers for your reply. will have another clean up tomorrow, im pretty shour its coming from the crank, the fly wheel flicks oil when running. if that is the case it would be an engine out job i supose?

its a 1998 model with 150k on the clock.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If it coming out that bottom tin plate (you`ll see it underneath too, you can take the little plate off and see) then its the crank seal.

You do not need to take the engine out! , but you will need to have the gearbox removed then the clutch / flywheel for access.

I've never had to change one if you want me to be 100% honest with you, but I've seen them go (fortunately not many)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG