Xantia Clutch cable clip replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamster
My Cars:

Xantia Clutch cable clip replacement

Post by hamster »

The plastic clutch cable clip has just gone on my xantia. I've ordered a new cable and plastic and metal clips to replace them some time this weekend.

I've done this before on a '93 TD and remember there was a lot of swearing despite taking the drivers seat out so i could get in the foot well on my back to reach up to the top of the pedal.

The Haynes manual says to take the instrument panel out in order to gain access to the top of the pedal mechanism. Does all the work of taking this lot out make it that much easier or is it just as quick to get on my back and scabble around in the footwell again and put up with the swearing!

thanks

graham
Xantia V reg (99) 1.8i 16v lx estate (green)
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Graham,
The clutch clip in my MkII 2.0 HDI Xantia went the other day.
I have just got the parts from a Citroen dealer costing £13. It was the metal clip that had worn on my car.
It has taken me just over a hour to do the complete job, so not that hard but fiddly.
I dont think you need a new cable because this is designed as 'the weakest link' in the system.
Start off by removing the lower carpet trim under the dashboard. Then depending on which car you have (how old basically) you may see a black spring that is attached to your clutch pedal, if you have just pop it off with a screwdriver.
Next, you will need a 13mm ring spanner and a 1/4" drive socket with a short extension bar. There is access to get the socket onto the bolt from the cenre console side. Ring spanner on the nut.
Undo and remove the pedal by wriggling it out.
look or even take a photo of your clutch pedal.
Remove the old white clip noting which way it fits to the pedal and fit the new one.
Disconnect the clutch cable at the gearbox end (a simple pull where it fits the arm).
Pull the cable inside the car and pull it downwards so the you can push it in the new clip. Once in push the metal clip so it locks the cable in place.
Thread the whole pedal back up into place (part way you need to pull the cable in the engine bay to tack up the slack).
Then just refite in reverse order. Use a bit of Bluetack to hold the nut in the ring spanner.
Pull the cable in the engine bay and put it back into the clutch bracket on the gearbox.
Make sure you try the pedal a few times and if it is hard you havent fitted it to the clutch bracket on the gearbox properly.
Job done. Test drive time.

Good luck
Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Before I discovered the french car forum I did try to remove the fascia first-a "5 spanner job" (Bodywork and Fittings Chapter 12 Setion 27)

I abandoned this approach because I am of the opinion that the fascia assembly does not remove without destroying itself, and when you think you must have removed every anchoring bolt and nut known to man, the stupid thing appears firmly glued and wont pull away.

I have done the job a couple of times now, and I would say a head torch is a really useful bit of equipment, and its much easier to engage the nipple of the cable and the clip properly before you locate the pedal in the housing with the bolt/spring/plastic bush. Here are a couple of posts of my experiences. I even spent a few frustrating hours after the clutch clip and pedal assembly were all sorted getting the "black plastic brake cannister" back underneath the brake pedal.

Clutch clip job 1

Clutch clip job 2

Once you get used to the positions you have to get yourself in to work the spanners, and use a bit of feel as opposed to sight for locating the bolt, clips/springs etc its a do-able job even without removing the seat.

all the best
Neil
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I didnt remove the brake cannister. A head torch is a good idea though I used a small LED torch which worked fine.
Last edited by wrinklet1 on 21 Aug 2010, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

wrinklet1 wrote: < snip of large post >

Job done. Test drive time.

Good luck
Paul
Just interesting to read your post as that sounds almost identical to the Peugeot 405 ones. I used to do a lot of them at one point. I do remember the first one took me about an hour and a half as I had to figure it out :(

But after a lot of practise I could do them usually in about 20 to 30 minutes. (no need for seat out but I'm small so can wriggle up without too much issue) , I bet if I tried one now it would be a good hour again though at least.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

your right, no need to remove the seat at all.
One thing that does help it lowering the car to make it easy on the back
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Spider, the clip looks similar to the 405 one but is three times as hard to fit! The thing about the 405 clip was that it hooked over the pdal, the xantia one has to be pinned through it.
andybsmith

Post by andybsmith »

It can be done but get ready for backache, a headlight torch helps, and make sure that small children are out of earshot
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andybsmith wrote:and make sure that small children are out of earshot
Or, that they don't come home from school, see a pair of dad's feet sticking up almost on the headlining and wonder what on earth is going on :lol:

Make sure too the door can't shut and trap you in there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
hamster
My Cars:

Post by hamster »

Job done at the weekend following Paul's directions above. Thanks for the excellent guidance.
The only extra thing i had to do was take the spring mechanism off the back of the brake pedal in order to be able to move the pedal far enough to the
floor to be able pull the bolt out from the clutch pedal to remove the pedal.

I ended up removing the drivers seat in the end (only 5 bolts to undo) as i was spending so long on my back making sure the cable was engaged in the plastice clip on the pedal properly as I put it in a couple of times and wasn't convinced the metal clip was holding it properly and didn't want to get it all back together only for it to pop out the first time i take it down the road.

Decided to change the cable while doing the clip as it didn't cost much extra and while I had the pedal etc out it made sense as the clutch had got gradually heavier over time. New cable fitted and its much lighter and more like it should be.

thanks for the advice.
Xantia V reg (99) 1.8i 16v lx estate (green)