Wiper blade stayed on the half way
There was 12V at the motor end and the relay was also ticking at intervals when switched on from steering wheel control
I decided to have a closer look at the motor and made it a weekend project.
Here’s the picture story.
Tools used and red grease:
Estate tailgate membrane and adhesive material.
I have renewed adhesive earlier when I had to change the locking actuator long ago.
Used 3M butyl tape (auto glass sealer).
Edit 13.10.2010: A pic of the butyl-strip-sealant, 10 m roll.
Also thanks to CitroJim for the tip about W4 caravan bedding mastic:
----------------back when I had an estate and also had the same problem, I resealed it with W4 caravan bedding mastic, the stuff used to bed joints and awning rails on touring 'vans.
It comes in rolls in the same way as the 3M stuff shown by VertVega and is very readily available from your local caravan dealer.
Wiper motor and relay:
Mechanisms cover and rivets:
Grinded off rivet heads and drilled about 2-3mm
Metal cover off
Drilled only 2-3 mm at this phase.
It was definitely suffering from lack of lubricant.
(Edit 13.10.2010: A couple hits moved the shaft in and released the arm pin from the wheel)
Parts dismantled for cleaning
I cleaned off old grease and drilled through 5 screw holes.
(Edit 13.10.2010: 6 rivets but only 5 screws. I left rivet #4 since it was exceptionally thick material there.)
Filled with new red grease and put all parts back in reverse order.
A closer look. Allen cap screw and nut.
I hope this would help others as well who are having the same problem.