Xantia Broken Camshaft 0 Newcastle Falcon 1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Xantia Broken Camshaft 0 Newcastle Falcon 1

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

:D :D

Thanks to everyone at FCF my Xantia is now back on the road again after clearing up the aftermath of a cambelt failure. It was remedied by taking the cylinder head off my spares xantia and putting it on the other one. Just one sentence-sounds like a piece cake! The reality was hours and hours of work, and one hurdle after another to overcome. My recent posts have covered some of these:-

No1-crankshaft pulley bolt 1 Newcastle Falcon 0
No2-cylinder head examination
No3-threaded hole behind idler roller
No4-thermostat/fuel filter housing gasket

Many thanks

Neil
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Good to hear it all resolved nicely - hope that will be the end to your problems for a fair while now.
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Steve

I think I won on the away goals rule, but the season is a long one :)

I was able to regard the defeat to the crankshaft pulley bolt as a pre-season friendly, thanks to a bit of creativity with my penknife which allowed me to get the bottom camshaft cover off without taking the crankshaft pulley off, and with the minimum of destruction to the cover itself.

all the best

Neil
NewcastleFalcon

Here is a picture showing some of the special tools I used to do the job

Clockwise from top left
Spring Compressor- (Club Hammer, Socket, Cut off end of Ballpoint pen with a magnet in the end)
Timing Pins-(M8 bolts and a bent bit of 8mm round bar)
Hacksaw blade- the most useful tool in the box
Inlet Manifold centre bolt removal tool- (19mm Spanner, 8mm/13mm squared-ended drain plug bit with the 8mm side cut off, 1/2 to 3/8 socket adaptor, 13mm socket)

The drain plug bit, 13mm Socket, and 19mm spanner is also good for undoing the right hand centre engine mounting bolt.
The 1/2 to 3/8 socket adaptor is perfect for putting in the square hole in the tensioner to move it back out of the way when installing/removing the timing belt. Used with the drain plug bit and a long 19mm spanner you can even wedge the spanner against the side of the engine mounting turret to keep the tensioner pulled back.

Neil
NewcastleFalcon

One of the mistakes I made was getting the wrong water pump from Eurocarparts. This has been well covered in Question about Cambelt
I needed the one with the guard (cos I have bolt on cambelt covers), but I got the shiny one on the right, and fitted it before I read the info on the forum. The shiny one did bolt on in the right places and I just assumed it would be alright, but after reading the forum doubt crept in, I got the right one, and re-did the job.

Neil
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Neil,

Well done :D good work sir and in doing so you have added some excellent stuff to the knowledgebase...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm eyeballing a 405 with busted camshaft for a friend. No idea if the caps are broken, too.

Does anyone know what sort of variances are found in the line boring? Are we talking in thou, or tenths of thou?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia Broken Camshaft 0 Newcastle Falcon 1

Post by citroenxm »

Adam, its HIGHLY likely to have broken the caps. Though they are machines as a matched set sometimes fitting a replacment cap can go straight on.. you dont know till you tighten it up and it clamps and cam shaft.

Ive done a couple now where I had to file out the cap face.. However, ive loads of caps in the shed of all three due to collections over the past! If you have trouble finding any let me know, I could send a hand full (2 of each if you like) of all three........ I think... :-k
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I haven't bought it yet; price still too high for the distance (500 miles) and unknowns of wear and tear generally. A new cam is about 290 Euro plus post. :shock: I would be trying to avoid a head off repair if possible - at 180K miles, am I dreaming?

Should it go ahead, your offer is likely to be accepted; we could work on a deposit for the lot and refund on ones sent back unused?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia Broken Camshaft 0 Newcastle Falcon 1

Post by citroenxm »

Adam, id be happy for you to keep what ever you need.

The good thing about an XUD, depending How fast the belt break occured, what useually happens is the cam shaft breaks, and the caps go too, but the valves survive..

Keep me informed.. I could possibly find you a cam too, Ive a whole head in the shed, but it has a fault as it pressurises the cooling system. Nothing broken on it.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto