Knocking got me stumped

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Knocking got me stumped

Post by Stempy »

So having replace the lower arms, ARB bushes, track rod ends and now finally the lower ball joints which I got a local garage to do, I find I have another knocking noise from the front which wasn't there before I started :cry:

I've had the front end off the ground with both wheels off and tried everything I can to find something loose but everything appears to be solid, no play anywhere that I can find.

It's quite loud when it happens and seems to be under heavy braking or acceleration and sometimes it will knock as the steering is turned, even at a standstill, but as I said I can't get it to do it with the wheels off load.

It also passed the MOT in this condition so wasn't picked up by the testers.

The only thing I didn't replace was the drop links, but they were fine before I replaced all the other bits and I can't detect any play in them at all, and they're not that old having replaced them last year.

The ride quality though is the best it's ever been and is real magic carpet and handling seems fine too, so I'm at a loss to know what to do next other than replace the drop links again.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I had an annoying knock at the front on my HDi and dismantled everything looking for slack in a joint but couldn't detect any so I replaced the droplinks as a starting point, job done :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy,

This might be simply ratting calipers. It's common on the cars fitted with the big brakes...

Try holding the handbrake on slightly and see if it goes away...

There is a special kit of anti-rattle shims available from the Stealers that will cure this...

Else, despite being recent, it'll be your drop links... There really are some terrible quality ones knocking (no pun intended) around and on the V6 they seem to live a hard life...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:This might be simply ratting calipers. It's common on the cars fitted with the big brakes...

Try holding the handbrake on slightly and see if it goes away...

There is a special kit of anti-rattle shims available from the Stealers that will cure this...
Good point Jim I forgot about that one :oops:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

This isn't rattling, it's a pronounced thunk. Drop links were Lemforder ones but I guess I will have to change them just to rule them out as there's nothing else left.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just a long shot -steering rack inner ball joints?