Citroen Relay revving itself while idling and speedo moving

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mad Dave

Citroen Relay revving itself while idling and speedo moving

Post by Mad Dave »

Hi all, I've got a bit of a strange fault on my 52 reg Relay van 2.0 Hdi.

I noticed a few weeks ago a lack of power for a few seconds after just exiting the motorway.
Just after that, the speedometer was fluctuating in the speed it was showing, sometimes going back to zero whilst actually moving.

At first I thought it was some sort of fuel fault, as I have had a similar problem b4, except for the speedo going a bit funny, and a certain fuel manufacturer had just changed the formula of their diesel.

Since this happened, I have noticed the engine Revs itself slightly every now and again whilst idling, and the speedo will move even though the vehicle is stationary.
Also I am still getting a lack of power every now and again and the speedo returning itself to zero whilst the vehicle is actually moving.

Also I have filled the fuel tank from 1/2 tank, and again from a 1/4 with a different brand of diesel, although a few days ago, I drained the fuel filter and did notice quite a bit of dirt floating about in the collected diesel.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Dave.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

There was not any metal particles / filings in the fuel filter were there ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Mad Dave

Post by Mad Dave »

Hi Spider,

I couldn't see any metal particles m8, just looked like small grains of dirt, it is a new fuel filter as well as van has only just been serviced, so the dirt must have been picked up in the last 3-4 weeks.

Dave.
Mad Dave

Post by Mad Dave »

I am putting this down to some ropey diesel, as the problem is starting to clear itself after a few fill ups and a dose of Millers Ecomax diesel treatment.
Think I'll start to use the Millers again on every fill up, as I can definitely tell the difference in the way the vehicle runs when using it.