Xantia Wiper Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JoSawday
My Cars:

Xantia Wiper Problem

Post by JoSawday »

The Arm connecting the wipers to the wiper motor has become detached on my Xantia. To correct requires the removal, replacement and resealing of the complete windscreen scuttle with all the problems that that will entail. What a wonderful piece of design that is!
Anyone know how to reattach the arm permanently without the scuttle replacement?
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Well other than the grief of having to purchase a tube of black silicone, and about 30 seconds with a Stanley Knife I can't imagine what other problems could possibly be entailed removing the scuttle panel.
My wiper linkage broke in January - One of the links had simply worn out so I had to replace it - the linkage is a complete unit and not easily fixed. I got one off a '00 Xantia HDi at the local scrapyard for £10 and it was like new.
You won't get at the linkage without removing the scuttle panel. Its easy to do, just remove the Alarm isolator switch (if fitted) and cut the seal away with a Stanley knife blade and the scuttle unclips. Clean the screen and the scuttle with meths and remove any remaining sealant. Fix the linkage as appropriate and and the put a thin run of black silicone along the back of the scuttle, and carefully place it and press down. Remove excess with a wet finger.
I used Hammerite Hermatite Black Silicone for the job, as reccomended by a motor factor and have had no problems with leaks.
JoSawday
My Cars:

Post by JoSawday »

Re the scuttle problem. When Autoglass last replaced my windscreen it took three return visits, the last one requiring the car being kept overnight as (a) they broke the original scuttle on removal (b) the new scuttle had a mind of it's own and would not stay bent to the required curvature (c) even after several hours clamping the sealent didn't (seal that is) and (d)the job was only complete after clamping scuttle number 3 for twelve hours.
Hassle enough I think. Perhaps my local 'fixer' will fare better.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Probably because they used cheap sealant. The Hammerite stuff I used was £9 a tube but IMO well worth it, I only held mine for about 10 seconds and its held ever since.
JoSawday
My Cars:

Post by JoSawday »

Just had to update you with the latest news...
The sealent must have been too good. On removing the scuttle my garage managed to crack my windscreen! Result one new windscreen (on my insurance), another new scuttle as the old one still has fragments adhering to the old screen and at least one over night stay in the garage. I still don't have my car back.
And all for the sake of a plastic washer holding the wiper connection arm to the motor. Well done Xantia designers!
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

Thing with the scuttle is the sheer quantity of crap stuck to the windscreen from under the scuttle :(
JoSawday
My Cars:

Post by JoSawday »

Got the Xantia back. Guess what scuttle is stuck for only 1 foot of its length - rest is completely loose. No sign of any sealent. Do our glass replacement companies know how to fit windscreens to Xantias?
My wife has just taken delivery of a new picasso - have you seen the scuttle on those!