Origin of Xantia Suspension "Tink" Noise...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Origin of Xantia Suspension "Tink" Noise...

Post by addo »

One for the punters and experts alike - some harmless speculation. I don't yet know the answer.

My Xantia suspension makes a "tink" noise when driven moderately to hard on rough surfaces. Perhaps akin to dropping a 3/16" ball bearing into a glass-lined sugar bowl. Sound appears to be on the driver's side.

Triangle bushes may be 10K miles old. Sway bar pivot bushes are decent. Strut tops sound, brake pads newish. Tie rod ends all original (110K miles). All rear bushes and bearings are original.

Today I replaced the N/S droplink - it still "tinks". Soon I'll replace the O/S droplink, and re-test. In a week or so, I'll do one lower balljoint, then the other.

Anyone care to put their name against a possible cause? I'm not swapping everything at once, because I simply don't have the downtime.

Cheers, Adam.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ball bearing in jar = drop link. Very distinctive noise once you've ID it.
Richard W
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Are you sure a tyre place hasn't fitted one of these?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think pixies are the specialty of my local tyre indies. :roll: It's cheapest to pay them to F&B after buying elsewhere - they don't seem to realise that a competitive quote would make them more money!

OK, per RW's reckoning, the fairy should be gone after I replace the other droplink. My experience has been that Australian roads are generally pretty harsh on the rough shoulder and nearside parts wear appreciably faster - hence the first one swapped.

N.B. I'd originally posted this topic in the chatty area as it seemed likely to attract a degree of O/T comment! :P
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Adam
mind you fit the XANT swivle's and not the 405 one's, as they have a smaller swivle pin then they would rattle,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think the base threads are different, too - should be OK on this front...
The Seasider

Post by The Seasider »

RichardW wrote:Ball bearing in jar = drop link. Very distinctive noise once you've ID it.
Wholley Concur ..... I just did my Daughter-in-laws Citroen Drop links Tink Tink Tink ... DEFFO the Drop links!!!!

What Prize do me & richard win ?????.......A week or so in Darwin would be rather nice !!!!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Link no tink, Ik denk.

Cause located: O/S outer TRE heatshield loose, due to compacted rubber boot. Who'da thunk it?

Having a chance to A:B newer and original Lemförder droplinks, I reckon the quality has fallen. There's a more pronounced "neck" at the shaft ends, and lower threads were especially poorly formed - I'd suggest a chipped die. Finish is also black paint on new ones, vs passivated coating on the originals.

Interestingly, at 170K (kilometres) the links aren't by any means terminal. With new boots to the top they'd probably do half the mileage again.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

just a point of interest we can get droplinks at £9.50 for 2 delivered over here,is there any point fitting more expencive droplinks,when they are easy to change cheap and can be done every couple of years.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Just changed the Droplink or Stabiliser link on the V6... it was more of a tapping/knocking noise to be honest!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate