elm or can bus

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

monkfish
My Cars:

elm or can bus

Post by monkfish »

hi lads or ladettes i would like to know if i need a elm cable or can bus cable to connect to my ecm or are they both the same as i have some diagnostic soft ware that i would like to use if poss many thanks for any info :?:
c5 2.2 hdi sx
xantia 1.8 sx
bx 1.9 gti 8v
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

You don't give the year of your C5 so I will say possibly but probably not. The others are much too old for EOBD standardisation.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Xantia and BX are neither; Citroen proprietary and only readable with a Lexia or similar tool specially designed to read a pre-2001 Citroen.

I'm afraid I cannot be any much help on the C5 but again, the very best tool for the job is the Lexia. A cheap ELM323 OBDII interface might give some generic fault codes but these do not necessarily have the right meaning on a C5.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
monkfish
My Cars:

Post by monkfish »

my car is a 51 c5 2.2 hdi i know that most of the diags wont do every thing that a lexia can do but i just want to use this as a starting point
c5 2.2 hdi sx
xantia 1.8 sx
bx 1.9 gti 8v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A 51 plate diesel may be too early to be OBDII compliant. By law petrol engines had to be by 2001 but diesels did not need to be until 2004.

It's really a case of "suck it and see" Can you borrow an ODBII reader to se if it'll work?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

CitroJim wrote:A 51 plate diesel may be too early to be OBDII compliant. By law petrol engines had to be by 2001 but diesels did not need to be until 2004.

It's really a case of "suck it and see" Can you borrow an ODBII reader to se if it'll work?
My understanding (which could be wrong!) is that OBDII only covers engine ECU's and in this respect the C5 is I believe compliant. The problem comes with all the other ECU's many of which have K lines and CAN bus that come out on various pins reserved for OEM's, there is as far as I know no standard for this because they are OEM specific and there is no global spec for these.
So in summary an ELM may / should do the engine ECU diags but that is actually a small proportion of the total on a C5 for the rest well only ELM may know the answer.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
enginostics
My Cars:

www.enginostics.co.uk

Post by enginostics »

Hi, just thought i'd leave this message. We specialize in fuel injection systems and we are based in the North West of England. I must say, i have worked with people in the past developing software around the Elm chip. We use state of the art equipment as we are a business. The hobby systems based around the elm chip are very very basic. There is a piece of software called Proscan 5.0 which works great with the elm based interface buy there are limitations. It will only work with petrol cars post 2001 and derv cars post 2004. There are the odd vehicles that will work outside the stated spec but you'll struggle.
monkfish
My Cars:

Post by monkfish »

thanks as i said i only want to have a crack at simple stuff first before i get a lexia buy the way i had 2 alfas both 156 before my c5 and a coputer boff on there site managed to write a diag program called alfadiag witch i have and it did every thing that alfas main steelers diag did cost 55 quid with life time updates could some one on here not do the same
c5 2.2 hdi sx
xantia 1.8 sx
bx 1.9 gti 8v