Tow bar electrics C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimleshed
My Cars:

Tow bar electrics C5

Post by jimleshed »

Hi all,
Just got a nice towbar from fleabay (Bosal detachable, used) and before I rip the entire back of the car apart (C5 2.2HDI 2001), can anyone tell me where (and if) there is a connector I can plug it all into?
The bar has twin electrics (wires all cut off but I have them) - rewiring to the 12n sockets will be easy (famous last words...) but locating where the t'other end connects to may be harder... The electrics have got a couple of useful connectors so I guess their mating parts are somewhere at the rear of the car...in the boot? Ive had a quick look but nothing seemed obvious, and I can find nothing in various wiring diagrams Ive managed to find.
I'll try and look in the owners manual later, you never know there may be something there!
Cheers all...
Jim Le Shed
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
Citroen GS (lots of other Cars and Bikes too!!)
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Jim, you may find that the simplest solution is to get at the back of the rear light clusters as though you were changing bulbs, then identify the wires with a tester before tracing them back to a handy multiplug. If it's your lucky day, there just might be a vacant plug designed for the purpose, but probably not - that would cost money!

You'll probably end up using horrible Scotch-Lok connectors. A word of warning, start by wiring the socket and make sure that you leave enough slack in the wires when you joint into the existing loom to be able to easily remove the light units. Not like the muppet who did mine the other way round leaving no slack behind the N/S/R light cluster so I pulled the ground connection out of the connector the first time I replaced a rear bulb.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Thanks Old Guy.
been rummaging around in the boot and under the car and found nothing so far, but not yet ripped up the side panels...
As this came off a citroen C5 I was really hoping to find a matching socket somewhere.... no one here actually fitted a Tow bar?
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Jim, the best way to fit up the electrics is to buy a break-in connector which will have all the correct cables and fits into the existing wiring harness without the need to cut into the cables.

The OE Xantia unit was about £40, for a plug and cable, but there are suppliers of pattern ones. Recently bought a unit for another car for £6.00!

H
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Thanks HM, I have had a look and they seem to start at £90...I have the socket and cabling already so I am reluctant to splash out that dosh if there is a simpler solution.
It all comes down to whether the C5 needs a bypass relay (?) - which I assume means is the wiring sensitive enough to recognise excessive current drain or not.
I wouldnt want to wire in what I have, only to attach a trailer to get the car telling me there is a fault every mile.....

I'm only doing the 12N socket so just lights and indicators etc....I was really hoping someone was gonna pop up and say there is a handy connector hiding behind.... (select your preferred hiding place)
:)
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

jimleshed wrote:I was really hoping someone was gonna pop up and say there is a handy connector hiding behind.... (select your preferred hiding place)
:)
If there is, I couldn't find one when I did my estate. I used scotchlocs at the rear of the light units - but I thought it best to put them all through a smart7 relay. Also you'll need a beeper on the indicators for when you're towing.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Ta John, I guess I'll find a relay too! Think Ive seen them with beepers included somewhere...
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Jim, have you had a look on Ebay for the break-in assembly? Mind you, you will probably get all the other wiring bits on there cheap.

Handyman
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Yes thanks HM, i did look at Ebay, and couldn't find one at a sensible price. As I have a standard 12n loom anyway it looks like all I need to source is a bypass relay. I'm gonna pick one up in my local caravan place I hope. Popping there later this afternoon.
Cheers
JLS
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You dont need a bypass relay for a mk1 C5 although the sellers will tell you it does.
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Even better news then Wheeler, thanks.
I'll give that a go, probably wiring so its easy to add a relay (just to be cautious) - take all the wiring to a single point (choc block) - then into the 12n wires.
Time to grovel under the car and actually fit the metalwork I think!
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............

It doesnt fit....very nearly, but it certainly doesnt fit.
Fleabay man said it was off a 2003 car, so should be a series 1...but Ive just done some detective work and its type number is for a series 2

***!*!*"*£*"*!**!*

Anyone want a lovely Bosal Towbar with a detachable ball for a series 2 C5? Guess I'll put it back on ebay at some time, at least I'll do a better job selling it! (now I have all the instructions on how to fit!)
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

See for sale and wanted section........

:roll:
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

:evil: