Fault finding cruise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Fault finding cruise

Post by Stempy »

Is there a procedure for fault finding on the cruise control without having to be moving? :sulk:
Last edited by Stempy on 03 Aug 2010, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I thought for a moment you were off on cruise there Stempy :lol:

I've never yet tried to make mine work so can be of little help.

All I know is that someone once did an excellent write-up in the CCC magazine, the "Citroenian" a while and a half back. It was for the XM but fully applicable to the Xantia.

If you don't have that issue, I'll dig it out for you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Fault finding cruise

Post by DickieG »

Stempy wrote:Is there a procedure for fault finding on the cruise conrtol with having to be moving? :sulk:
What's the nature of the problem? (apart from not working :lol: )
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I've had several problems, a split hose which I fixed, then a duff brake pedal, which I replaced, then the relay packed up which I also replaced. Each time I've fixed it, it's worked for a while then packed up again.

I was cruising along the M4 the other day and it just suddenly stopped working just as if it had been switched off. I've done some preliminary checks such as checking the hose, fuse, swapping the relay, and measuring the brake pedal switch, all to no avail.

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I ask as I've spent time getting mine to (nearly) work. I've been everywhere you have with no absolute success yet.

A good test is to disconnect the ECU connector and run the vacuum pump independently of the ECU by earthing pin 7 and applying +12v from a small battery to pin 1 of the ECU connector whlst you have an assistant watching the bellows. If all is good, you'll hear the pump run and the bellows should pull the throttle wide open. Mine is low on vacuum and only crinkles the bellows a little. If this works, you know that both the pump and vacuum dump valve is good.

Can you feel even a tiny flutter on the accelerator as you engage cruise? If you can then it suggests a low vacumm but conversely suggests the ECU is good.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I went through this a while back, and wrote it up - just not sure whether the detail was here or on Grenouilles Australien.

Short form - open the case and retouch the dry or cracked joints with an earthed Weller iron and finest/hottest tip - you'll also need a super set of eyes or a serious magnifier. Use a PROPER contact cleaner/enhancer on the brake switch, too. I also polished the brake switch contacts with microabrasive.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

It turned out to be corroded contacts on the pump connector. A good clean cured the problem. It's all fine and dandy again now, for the time being anyway. Not the easiest thing to get to though.

Lexia ponce