Coolent change zx td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

Coolent change zx td

Post by shezads »

I am due a service on my 94 zx td. Was going to flush radiator and renew coolent, but have read on other forums that this can cause airlocks as the it is difficult to bleed.
Is this true, and what is the best/ easiest way of going about this. Had a look through the Haynes manual- no mention of bleeding.
Thanks for any help.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Yes! you must bleed, otherwise you'll get airlocks which willl cause overheating and damage to headgasket. When you've drained off, put a hose in the header tank and give it a flush through. Close the drain screw. Put in a few litres of water - I use water collected in the dehumidifier - then add the required amount of antifreeze. Top up with water. Open the bleed valves - there's one on the thermostat housing and another on the pipe going to the heater. Close them when water runs from them. Start the engine and let it tick over. Open the bleed valves again until water flows. Use a plastic bottle with the bottom cut away from it and jam it into the header tank so that it's as leak proof as possible. Half fill the bottle with water still letting the engine tick over. Bleed the air again. Remove the bottle from the tank and replace the cap. Allow the engine to warm up then carefully remove the cap, topping up the header tank if necessary.