Xantia odd motor noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Xantia odd motor noise

Post by xantiatdsx »

Hi, I've got a 2001 2.0 HDI 110 Xantia SX Hatchback. When the ignition is turned on there is a trange deep motor sound from the front of the car. if the engine is not started this soon stops. if the engine is started then it continues to run. however, it does not always do it and then can sometimes come on and only be noticed when slowed up and parking.

any ideas? i know its a hard one to explain. will try and get video etc to help explain the problem.

thanks

Tim
1986 2CV6 Dolly
1976 AKS 400 Sidewinder
2003 Xsara VTS

http://www.international2cvfriends.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

My instant reaction is low or high pressure fuel pump got noisy. No doubt an expert HDi owner will be along soon and be more specific.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Post by xantiatdsx »

just been out to the car and had a poke/listen.

took the covers off the engine and its the round pot with the thin (6mm ish) pipes going from it that sits unde the main engine cover infront of the block... a mate suggested idle stepper motor? but i have no idea.

should it make this noise?

another thing i noticed is the twin fans were both running even without the air con on and the engine just started?
1986 2CV6 Dolly
1976 AKS 400 Sidewinder
2003 Xsara VTS

http://www.international2cvfriends.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The noise is coming from the fuel filter. The cause is a combination of the fuel filter and the low pressure pump (in the tank). The pump primes for 10s at swtich on, then switches off if the engine is not started - it runs all the time the engine is running. I think there's a non return valve in the filter somewhere, and when this gets a bit tired, perhaps combined with a slightly tired LP pump, you get the resonant noise. Changing the LP pump usually fixes it - for a while - but you really need to replace the filter housing complete - GSF sell them, and they are not too dear. If this doesn't totally fix it, then replace the LP pump - or live with it 8-) Mine's been doing it for the 3 years / 60k I've had it.....

The AC will be switched on regardless of the AC switch if the direction slider is set to demist, which brings the fans on.
Richard W