Citroen Xantia + Peugeot 406 engine = ?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

igor253
My Cars:

Citroen Xantia + Peugeot 406 engine = ?

Post by igor253 »

OK, I have a friend who used to drive a Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi, but recently he totaled his car and now he's selling what's left of it, like the engine. Now he wants to sell it to me, because my Citroen Xantia 1.9TD engine is, well, let's just say it's used up :) , and I need a new one. But sense this is my friend he is willing to sell it to me for a fair price. Now the question. Is it even possible to put a 406 engine into a Xantia, sense they are almost the same cars?

Thanks! :D
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The XUDT engine 'unit' itself is the same, the ancillaries and brackets (things like suspension pump and some other pipework) are different.

Caution: You cannot easily swap from a XUD to a HDi (regardless of where it came from)

Going from a HDi to a XUD is quite (generally!) easier as you more or less throw electronics out, not attempt to add them.

It would be easier to obtain a XUDT from something and fit that (if it came out of something other than a Xantia or 406 you would want manifolds etc too) , but as above swapping from XUD to HDi = not fun, the other way around not too bad, but its still a lot of work really, exhausts and odds and ends etc.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

spider wrote:The XUDT engine 'unit' itself is the same, the ancillaries and brackets (things like suspension pump and some other pipework) are different.

Caution: You cannot easily swap from a XUD to a HDi (regardless of where it came from)

Going from a HDi to a XUD is quite (generally!) easier as you more or less throw electronics out, not attempt to add them.

It would be easier to obtain a XUDT from something and fit that (if it came out of something other than a Xantia or 406 you would want manifolds etc too) , but as above swapping from XUD to HDi = not fun, the other way around not too bad, but its still a lot of work really, exhausts and odds and ends etc.
Thanks for repling,
I know it won't be easy and that there is a lot of work and I know it would be easier to just put in another TD engine. But, the reason I want a HDi is simple, more power and newer engine, sense I dont have money for a new car :). I just need to know wheather that is even possible. Yes the electronics are gonna be a pain in the a$$, but the hydraulics are not part of the engine so I hope it won't give me a lot of trouble. So let's say you are in my shoes, living in a country with corrupt goverment and you dont have a lot of money, would you attempt something like this or you wouldn't throw your money on an engine because it is a really really long shot? :)
Thanks!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its a lot of trouble.

You want all the ancillaries (assuming the XUD ones will fit the HDi block), if they do not you will have to source Xantia HDi ones.

Ideally a Xantia HDi wiring loom suitable for that engine as well as things like exhausts / pipework. All the ECU's / BSI etc, if its multiplexed you want the dash or part of at least like Com2K (possibly steering column if that's different to non multiplexed ones, would not surprise me)

It would be sensible if you had a damaged Xantia to take parts off, otherwise no I would say its too much trouble, unless you like headaches.

It is possible :D , most things are but a lot of work...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

spider wrote:Its a lot of trouble.

You want all the ancillaries (assuming the XUD ones will fit the HDi block), if they do not you will have to source Xantia HDi ones.

Ideally a Xantia HDi wiring loom suitable for that engine as well as things like exhausts / pipework. All the ECU's / BSI etc, if its multiplexed you want the dash or part of at least like Com2K (possibly steering column if that's different to non multiplexed ones, would not surprise me)

It would be sensible if you had a damaged Xantia to take parts off, otherwise no I would say its too much trouble, unless you like headaches.

It is possible :D , most things are but a lot of work...
OK, thanks man I'll think about it :)