Air Con

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

Air Con

Post by allanmc »

My car 2000 Xantia 2Ltr HDI 110 bhp I have a question about the AC System some people say leave it switched on all the time others say just switch it on when you need it what do you think.
Thanks
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

Switch it on when you need it. Mine doesn't get used for months at a time, not even the odd 10 minutes or so and is still cold at 11 years old.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The reccomended procedure to keep the system in working order is to use it once for 10 mins a week AT LEAST!

This keeps the system all running and seals lubricated.. You WILL find though being a 2000 model that everytime you select Windscreen Demist on the heater slider it Will automatically switch the air con on Regards to the dash switch being on or off... this is to speed up demisting as REMEBER: Air con is also a de-humidifer or if you like an "Air Dryer"

This feature was only added to 2000 late W, X and Y plate cars..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
allanmc
My Cars:

Air Con

Post by allanmc »

Thanks for your reply Ill give that a try.
John Plum
My Cars:

AC performance

Post by John Plum »

I wonder, apart form rifing in someone elses xantia with ac, how could I get an idea of it's present performance.

Example: mine cools down to 17 - 18 C on the cabin temp meter, I feeel the cool, biut in the sun find myself thinking i wish it worked better, and open the windows. On the motorway, I shut them and it's just OK. I wanted COOL.

Does 17 C sound right? Is there some tweak or test for performance?
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The high side and low side pressures need to be read with correct gauges.

I'd suggest (unless you have 100% confidence in the mechanic's integrity) having this test done as a freestanding procedure - stops dishonesty.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If you can measure the temperature of the air coming out of the face vents with the slider at minimum temperature, this should after a couple of minutes drop to less than 5 degrees. On mine, on a hot day it can get as low as -11. If the distributed air is cold (on a hot day) then the refridgeration system is OK.

If the distributed air is fairly cold on a warm day, but not very cold (above 5 degrees) on a hot day, there is a very good chance that your system needs more R134. I think the system gets into a state where nearly all the R134 is pumped into the HP side of the system, but the pressure there is still too low for it to condense properly on a hot day, but the pressure on the low side is too low for the pump to scavenge much gas, and the systme just limps along.

My late Mk1 system (which may have different software to yours) has an odd behaviour in that it works really well when the outside temperature is over 30 degrees, but when the outside temperature is only in the low 20s, even if the indside of the car is hot (due to solar gain), it won't cool the car to the desired temperature, you have to move the slider down a few dergrees. This is obviously a software quirk.

BTW, I run my A/C all the time when the outside temperature is over 7 degrees. When it is not doing much cooling, it is not using much power.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xantia_v6 wrote:On mine, on a hot day it can get as low as -11.
Are you sure about that, as such a low temperature will cause the system to freeze up, IIRC the lowest temperature out of the vents should be around 5 degrees.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

DickieG wrote:
Are you sure about that, as such a low temperature will cause the system to freeze up, IIRC the lowest temperature out of the vents should be around 5 degrees.
That sounds right to me, as has been said the system is also a de-humidifier water condenses out of the incoming cabin air on the evaporator, hence the water dripping out underneath. If the evap gets down to 0 degrees ice will start to form in the matrix and eventually choke up completely, you will get very cold air for a while and then none :-). With an evap at close to 0 degree 5 degrees at the outlet sounds about right.

And yes, as has already been said, the system should be run regularly specifically to keep the compressor seals in good shape.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

DickieG wrote:
It takes a surprisingly long time for the evaporator to get choked with ice, even in a humid climate, so these computer controlled systems can deliberately take the evaporator temperature very low for a few minutes for maximal cooling, then let them recover to just above freezing to thaw out.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xantia_v6 wrote:
DickieG wrote:
Are you sure about that, as such a low temperature
will cause the system to freeze up, IIRC the lowest temperature out of the vents should be around 5 degrees.
It takes a surprisingly long time for the evaporator to get choked with ice, even in a humid climate, so these computer controlled systems can deliberately take the evaporator temperature very low for a few minutes for maximal cooling, then let them recover to just above freezing to thaw out.
I've never heard that :? IIRC correctly the original Citroen W/S manual gives the lowest output temperature as 5 degrees and makes no mention of briefly going to such low temperatures on startup, no Xantia of mine ever has and I'm very fussy when it comes to the efficiency of how well A/C works on my car's, so should I suspect the system on one of mine isn't working well I check the output temperature with a thermometer probe.

The A/C fitted to BMW 5 Series E39 onwards is very effective but even those don't peoduce air at minus 11 degrees :?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

xantia_v6 wrote:
DickieG wrote:
Isn't the TX valve mechanical and thermostatic?
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Isn't the TX valve mechanical and thermostatic?
Yes if it has a TX valve and not some other kind of throttling device.
The valve controls the superheat of the refrigerant i.e the difference between the actual gas temperature and the gas temperature expressed as pressure. It's usually adjustable within a narrow range.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC