xud9 swap into Synergie

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

eastbournediver

xud9 swap into Synergie

Post by eastbournediver »

Hello
My Synergie 1.9td Cambelt has gone!
I am assuming the engine is dead as the camshaft has snapped.
I am looking for another xud engine to replace it and to increase my chances of finding a cheaper engine have been looking at other 1.9td cars as a donor. Are all xud9 engines interchangeable are there other differences in crankshafts ect.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Assuming the one you have is an XUD why not just replace the head? much easier than changing the whole engine, there is unlikely to be any other damage.

If you do want to change the engine, dont use a hydrophumatic Citroen one as it wont have a drive for the vacuum pump, the Peugeot ones may be OK although there can be subtle differences.

Peter
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

What mileage did it the belt snap at? I had mine changed at 60k.

Gammy
2000 Synergie 1.9Td
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

There are a number of options open to you. one is to repair the cylinder head. You can use valves from most 1.9 heads There are subtle differences but if they fit into the valve guide and a quick rub with grinding paste greys the seat they will work. Most camshafts will fit the wrong ones are very obviously wrong (ignore the purists worries about lift, overlap lobe slope etc). Broken bearing caps can be replaced with second hand ones on a best fit basis (Yeah I know they are first assembled and then line bored in manufacture so they are all unique) Turbo diesel heads had a history of cracking if they were overheated so donors shouldnt be hard to come by. Failing that use a standard xud head as a donor. Im not sure how long such a repair will last. I did one which has covered almost 150,000 miles since it was repaired.
The other options are to fit a second hand head, to fit a non turbo head and transfer the turbo, to fit a non turbo head and manifold and use the exhaust downpipe from a Fiat Scudo 1.9D van (xud engine), or fit a complete engine.
All the non turbo options will work but are slow.
Most 1992 to 1999 donors should work.

Edit: usually damage is confined to the head.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know if the non turbo head is in fact different, they were not on the CX in fact the 2.2 head was practically the same as the 2.5 turbo - I know - I used one.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Peter

Hydraulic XUD Units use the SAME Cam shaft with just a cap on the end!

SO Yes use one!! ALL Xud engines are identical on the mounting areas so will fit any car equpit with an XUD!!

So you have a Massive choice of cars to choose for an engine, Xantia, ZX, 405, 406, Rover 218 (Though thats the 1.8 unit, not the 1.9)

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto