Here We Go Again!!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris56000
My Cars:

Here We Go Again!!!

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

I've not got round to replacing the dud Clutch Master Cylinder on my '406 as torrential showers keep supervening!!!

However following a trip round the Supermarkets yesterday evening I found the ignition switch had jammed in the on (2nd) position as seems to be common on these cars leaving the dratted key jammed in the ignition!!! (can someone remind me which fuse to pull out to shut off the Injection system and therefore stop the engine safely without stalling it on the clutch???!!! It won't stop if you disconnect the battery as the generator's o/p keeps it running!!!)

After much aggro with pliers and things till after 2am this morning I managed to get the switch to unjam itself so I could extract it from the lock housing, only to discover its got bits rattling inside, with the rotor bit jammed solid!!! (I'm referring to the cream coloured Switch assembly NOT the lock cylinder by the way!!!)

a) Do GSF do a new 406 HDi 2001 Ignition Switch assembly and can anyone offer me a Stock Code?

b) Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced scrapyard to get one from within the range of a WM Daysaver? (preferably not in Handsworth or Smethwick - it isn't safe round there I'm sorry to say!!!)

PSB gives the thing as part no. 4162R7 and its £160 + VAT which is too steep for me now!!!

Chris Williams

PS!!! In case anyone's wondering I can still drive the thing at a pinch if I reach underneath to pull the broken Clutch Cylinder pushrod back out again whenever I stop!!!
Last edited by Chris56000 on 18 Jul 2010, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Chris56000
My Cars:

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Further to the above I've found one on ebay with a key but the one offered has only two plug connectors, one black and one blue but mine has an additional thick black wire going to a third single black plug not marked in the Book Of Fairy Tales!!! I havent taken mine out yet as I can't seem to release that plug with the thick black wire from the driver's side fusebox!!!

Could I buy the one on ebay, diamantle the replacement and fit the switch rotor part to the contact/lead assembly of my original one? The seller offering the replacement says its off an HDi model!!!

PS!!! I've got Pugshot's Wiring Manual but its only for phase 1 D8 models!!! According to that, the original switch has three 2 pin plugs, one black, one brown and one grey, whereas mine has three black plugs, one 1-pin, one 2-pin and one 3-pin!!!

Chris Williams
Chris56000
My Cars:

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

After three days of perusal, many tiny bits and pieces and much head-scratching I managed to rebuild the switch assembly!!!

It had siezed because the auxiliary-contact (two crescent-shaped bits of metal round the outside of the main switch) had overheated and melted the plastic, welding the switch rotor!!!

From what I can make out, this contact carries a high-current supply to the B.S.I. thingy and the heater blower-motor amongst several other things, and rather than rebuild the switch again, my intention is to use two relays to route the current, a normally-open one operated off the ign. supply +15 and a normally-closed one operated off the start supply +50 to interrupt it during cranking, as the original contacts were configured to operate this way!!!

Has anyone got a more recent Phase 2 DW10ATED wiring Diagram from PSB showing the circuit-arrangement they can post for me please?

Chris Williams
Chris56000
My Cars:

Re: Here We Go Again!!!

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Guess what - Here We Go Again For The Second Time With All The Above Palaver.......!!! (On my new 406 this time....!!!)
Chris56000
My Cars:

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Guess what - Here We Go Again For The Second Time With All The Above Palaver.......!!! (On my new 406 this time....!!!)

Exactly the same symptoms again - the lousy ign switch worked perfectly ever since I've had the car until I parked up last nite - then discovered key jammed again at half-past-twelve in the morning when I parked up again!!!

Has any other Member been plauged with this jammed-key nonsense (at just after mid-nite!!!) and is any other model affected with it?

Chris Williams

As a PS to the above, I've just made the happy discovery (from a different forum!!!) that there's a (very much cheaper!!!) replacement switch block sold for the 206, Picassos etc., at only £27.50 - that appears to be of identical construction altho' different leads & plugs - has anyone been able to repair '406 switches this way? - £27.50 is a lot more palatable than nearly £200 from the stealers for the whole bloody lot!!!
Chris56000
My Cars:

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

I managed to get another switch unit but it was the phase 1 unit with a brown, a grey and blue plug! Can anyone whose got SEDRE/ServiceBox post me the two/three sections of Phase 2 DW10ATED Wiring Diagrams that show the Ignition Switch at the top of the drawings please?

The Phase 2 has three black plugs, one 1-pin with a thick black wire, one 2-pin with a thick orange and a thick yellow wire, and one 3-pin with a red, yellow and blue wire! My car was registered May 2001, Build Code 8911.

I did have the blue Printed Wiring Manual covering Build Codes 8421-on in the past but its gone missing somewhere!!! I've tried several ways of connecting up the plastic switch block and the immobilisation won't release - the yellow key light comes on at the LHS of the dashboard and no go, as well as frantic beeps from the dashboard!! I know the transponder-chip hasn't got lost or damaged - it's obviously a wiring error but what?!

Chris Williams