Bosch diesel fuel injector pump output test - SOLVED

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

romie
My Cars:

Bosch diesel fuel injector pump output test - SOLVED

Post by romie »

Hi,

If I crack the fuel line going into one of the injectors how much fuel should I be expecting to be expelled?

Below is a youtube video of the one of the outputs from the fuel pump going to the injector, does this look like there is too little being ejected?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxhsvZceuh0

Many thanks
Last edited by romie on 29 Jul 2010, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

At tickover about the size of a pinhead and full throttle about a matchead, may be a bit more with the pipes disconnected, if there is any discernable fuel the engine should run, assuming the pump timing is in order.
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

Hmm, as you can see there is something going to the injectors so I suppose this bit of the pump is ok then.

I found an example of how much fuel should be coming out of the injection pump distributor on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/v/pUnMel8EdnQ
At the injector mines nothing like this :s
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I couldnt see any fuel in your video, certainly it didn't look like that one, the ammount I referred to was the ammount burnt per stroke, in the second video its obviously delivering a lot more when not under pressure. Will the engine not start, do you get any blue/white smoke from the exhaust when turning it over? Is there plenty of fuel being delivered into the pump from the filter?
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

ah, sorry Peter.N. I didn't mean to create another thread on the whole problem. Could I refer you to the below topic regarding the actual issue, your input would be greatly appreciated :)

Xantia 1.9TD Estate 1996 died whilst running, now won't run.
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

The Xantia will eventually start after 3mins turning her over with foot to floor but will die when revs go below 2000rpm - no smoke.

I've removed stop solenoid internals and bypassed everything I could by gravity feeding fuel through transparent tube directly into Bosch injector pump which, when running, it drew in.

Hmm, cheers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well, I have never known one of these pumps to fail, but it sounds as though yours might have done. The only time I have had these symptoms was on an old Perkins 4/108 engine and this was caused by a blocked return pipe from the pump, the engine had run out of water and had got so hot that it had melted the plastic pipe!

Might be an idea to check the return to make sure its flowing freely, any obstruction will increase the pressure within the pump which will upset it. Try starting it with the return disconnected, but not for long as it will pump fuel out everywhere.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: Might be an idea to check the return to make sure its flowing freely, any obstruction will increase the pressure within the pump which will upset it.
Very good thinking Peter.

This problem is starvation of sorts and if you've tried a direct feed then the pump itself or a blocked return line seems to be the cause.

I've disassembled a few pumps now and found those that have run in the past on "exotic" fuels are terribly contaminated by gum which I believe results from the polymerisation of said fuels over time. Diesel won't shift it and the only stuff that does is petrol.

I'd suspect the pump is badly gummed and a passage or two is choked or the transfer pressure relief valve is gummed open which will result in the pump being unable to generate sufficient transfer pressure.
Another cause my be a blocked internal gauze filter basket in the distributor head between the stop solenoid and HP pumping element.
Another area where gumming can wreak havoc is on the lift pump vanes. They can stick and seriously reduce the efficiency and again lead to very low transfer pressure.

A strip and clean should restore normality.

Another cause on AS3 pumps can be wear/blockage on the timing device whereby the timing device keeps the pump fully retarded. Again, symptoms will be hard starting, no rev and lots of smoke.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

Ah, fantastic guys. It does look like I'm going to be removing and stripping the pump at some point.

I've been swatting up on how the whole thing functions and think I've got a good basic idea.

Here's another video of the output from the pump at the distributor head:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-gFWNGZE84

Does this confirm/follow on with the restricted flow consensus?

I've never run this vehicle on anything other than straight diesel but that's not to say someone else hasn't used some sort of
exotic
:) fuels in the past.

I'm going to first try removing the pump without taking the pump gear/timing belt off.

Anything I should look out for when removing the pump?

Thanks for the comments, I'll be using them as a guide while the pumps in the vice
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

romie wrote:Anything I should look out for when removing the pump?
Yes. Be aware there's a wooruff key in the main shaft, which the pulley locks into.

Also, if you're going to remove any banjo's, they are dedicated inlet and outlet, if you get them wrong, it'll starve the pump of fuel :!:

Otherwise, it should be a simple job of spannering. Do also bare in mind, you don't want any muck getting into any fuel orifice so try to clean the areas before undoing couplings to the pipes etc.
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

oh - my - life!

ok, pump off. But it was not without protest.

No one mentioned that damn bolt under the pump >:)

One spanner cut in half and many - many - many retrievals using a magnet on a stick.... and the pump is finally off.

ugh.

I'm not a fisherman but I feel like I've landed a very fat fish.

(apologies as this post doesn't add any new or useful information... but it does let me vent!)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yep sorry Romie, we've all been there .. :D

banana/crescent spanners (or just a 13mm one) are a must for a TD owner ;)

I think my draper set was only a £10 and has various sizes in..

John
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

SOLVED!!!

ok, so that injector pump WAS faulty.

Having removed and stripped the pump on the bench I found that both plunger-return springs had broken, (interestingly both had two breaks in the same locations).

So if anyone shows a video of a 'weak' output like this one, this 'could' be a possible place to look.

Bosch said it WAS a serviceable part and so I should have the plunger spring 'kit', (wonder what could be in the 'kit' apart from, er, two springs?), arriving in a few days time at a cost of around £10.

They also suggested that they would need to calibrate the pump after I fitted the springs. The only thing that I figured that could change would be the strength of the springs which by the looks of their operation wouldn't change the pumps operation very much so I cheerfully declined their pricey offer in favour of 'we'll see how it goes'.

Here are some pictures of the dismantle and broken plunger-return springs.

>>>>>> BROKEN PLUNGER-RETURN SPRINGS <<<<<<<<

Many thanks to everyone for all your advice with this, I'll put up a video of what a healthy Citroen Xantia 1.9TD Estate 1996 Bosch distributor injection pumps output should look like after I've re-fitted everything and proved that it runs.

Cheers again :)
Last edited by romie on 29 Jul 2010, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Nice one, always feels good to solve a problem like that, and its also good that there are a few people who bother to do so!
For many with a similar problem i guess it would be new car time!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

davetherave wrote:Nice one, always feels good to solve a problem like that, and its also good that there are a few people who bother to do so!
For many with a similar problem i guess it would be new car time!
It would in view of the common assumption* that the pumps are not repairable and that a replacement costs in the region of £1,000 and has to be fitted by a dealer and coded to the engine.

*I wonder who spreads these rumours? Dealers, very possibly!
romie
My Cars:

Post by romie »

:) I bought the car for £420 and my day job is as an embedded system engineer - not vehicle technician - so it would have been, 'time to replace car' had it not been for you guys and my, frugalisanty, stubbornness and curiosity for the unknown.

I'd definitely recommend people to take this sort of job on seeing as the cost of repair/replacement would normally mean the demise of a perfectly good vehicle.

I'm wondering if the springs could be replaced with pump in situ? Don't think so as the pump needs to be held with distributor end upright to stop all the plunger mechanism from dropping out.. hmm, am sure someone's going to achieve it at some point - never say something can't be done eh ;)