XUD head ona DW8 Block

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnnyC
My Cars:

XUD head ona DW8 Block

Post by JohnnyC »

I have had a timing belt failure and the head is shot as the cam carriers are broken.
I am unsucessful at finding a replacement head from the dismantlers. Options are a new head at £400 or see if a XUD head will fit.

It is off my citroen dispatch 1.9d on a 99 plate. The main difference I can see is the glow plugs and injectors are in different locations.

Is this possible or where is best to find a DW8 head?

Thanks in advance.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I remember asking this question a few years ago, although not here obviously :)

The general consensus at the time was it would fit but no-one had tried it.

You might have problems getting injection pipes to fit too, not sure if the pump is in an identical vertical place compared to a XUD

Remember the timing belt arrangement is slightly different (spring on XUD) , not sure of differences with teeth count ect. 81658 is the part number for the XUD belt (Pug number) on most.

It would (probably) be a better engine with a XUD head though in my opinion if you can get it to work like this.

Not sure about manifolds either.

Although not a lot of help (sorry) I shall watch this topic with interest.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

dont know either .. I do have a spare DW8 HG if it's of help.. but from a vague memory I think it's different from the XUD HG..
John
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

DW8 is NOT a Direct injection design.. and I think is litterally a reduced CC XUD, with a few mods, heater plug locations for example...

Ive had nothing to do with the DW8 so far..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

And less power than a XUD9 (or so it feels anyway if not on paper) :)

A twist of the fun screw + no cat = normality. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
JohnnyC
My Cars:

Post by JohnnyC »

i think we are going to give it a whirl tomorrow. Main difference is the glow plug and injector locations. If the head gaskets are the same for oilways and waterways and other dimentions, I will buy the XUD head from the breakers with the vacuum pump and the injector pipes. I plan to use the pulley off the original engine as the camshafts I believe are the same. All told I cant see anything else not fitting. I will post back if it all works as there seems a shortage of WM8 heads about.

The timing belt wore across the belt.When it broke the belt was only about 10mm wide!!. This is the second belt that has gonelike this on this van. The other time it was changed before it broke on a routine service. There is no play on the pulleys, but there is some on the water pump. Perhaps this was enough to throw the belt to the side to get side wear????? ?Going to replace the pump anyway.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Any wear in the water pump shaft would result in Water loss!!

Check your belt idler pullys and tensioner... something must be causing the belt to wear away!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
JohnnyC
My Cars:

Post by JohnnyC »

Its strange no witness marks, idlers and tensioner seem fine, but I am going to replace anyway. Lots of black rubber mulch about the place but was expecting something nice and shiney where it was rubbing... but nothing.

The water pump shaft has a good amount of play. No leaks as yet but very wiggly in some directions not so in others so I guess the bush has worn in the dorection of the tensioner.
JohnnyC
My Cars:

Post by JohnnyC »

The van. It lives.

An XUD head will fit in replacement of a DW8 head. There are a few mods due to the injector and glow plug positions being reversed. The injector pipes need a little bend and one vane on the block needed a bit of a grind back to clear a blank plate which my old head had a core plug in. Overall runs similar, however hard to tell as the pump will have been retimed when put back on so may be that.

Overall though £80 head from a scrappy compared to £380 for a new head is a good saving.