405 4x4 Suspension layout?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrispychicken
My Cars:

405 4x4 Suspension layout?

Post by chrispychicken »

Hello all..
I was hoping someone could explain to me how the rear suspension works on a 405 4WD??? I've searched Google without success... I know it uses a sphere like a Citroen, but I'm led to believe it's only a half-way Citroen setup. I've got a MI16x4 and it's a little hard riding in the rear. I'm aware that on a Citroen hard ride is the result of a sphere losing it's gas, but I am not sure about the Peugeot system, and before I spend an arm an a leg getting the sphere changed I would like to know more about how this system works.
Can anyone enlighten me?
TIA
Chris Nielsen.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Chris,
Speaking to the guys in Europe who have more to do with these than us over this way are ever likely to, I'm sure you'll find it's not "partially" a Citroen rear suspension but rather IS a Citroen rear suspension.
No big deal to remove the spheres, just follow Citroen practice, and take them to Citroen service guy with regassing equipment.
Standard cost in Oz to get spheres regassed is from $15 (car club price) to $30 - $45 repairers price, up to $90 if they are going to rip you off big time.
New price out here is a bit like a lottery; think of a number, double it then ad $50 is pretty close.
Shop around first if you need new spheres or import some. There are numbers marked on them to designate their model or specifications as there are heaps of different ones that all look the same.
Alan S
chrispychicken
My Cars:

Post by chrispychicken »

Ah-ha... Thanks Alan....
Talking to a Citroen guy a while ago, and he seemed to think that because it only has one sphere, it's only half-way Citroen... He reckoned the sphere is just an accumulator...
Reason I asked the question is I want to figure out if slightly hard suspension is normal or caused by a flat sphere...
Might just get the thing re-gassed and be done with it.
Which leads me to my next question - how do we de-pressurise the system for sphere removal???
Regards
Chris Nielsen
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Chris,
As I say, I haven't had direct experience of these machines but it has always been my understanding that they have a full on Citroen rear end.
I can understand an accumulator if the system was operating the brakes, which is the main reason for the existence of the accumulator; a back up of pressure if the pump fails but why have it on the suspension is beyond me. The system should have some kind of height control & a return bleed screw would be on the regulator that the accumulator sphere screws into. The height would need to be at the bottom & bleed screw released to allow for the sphere to be released.
I imagined at least 2 spheres, one for each wheel.
There is a site that is strictly for Citroen 4X4 & I wonder if they may be worth having a word to as I'd imagine they would have as good a knowledge as anyone mainly due to the cars being basically cousins.
I'll try to find a URL & when it turns up, I'll post it.
Alan S
chrispychicken
My Cars:

Post by chrispychicken »

Thanks Alan....
I think it's time to get the bugger up on a hoist and have a look underneath.... I think you're probably right about it being a cousin of the BX 4x4...
Thanks for the information, I will investigate....
Regards
Chris
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

OK here we go. I asked around & was given this excellent link which is the one I was looking for.
http://www.geocities.com/bx4x4register/
Besides heaps of info on there, you,ll also find contacts who may be able to help you even more.
I've also got a couple of guys sending stuff from overseas & I'll forward that on when it arrives.
I also there's been a heap of info loaded onto this site that may also shed some light.
http://vg1mj.users.btopenworld.com/
All the best.
Alan S