would low water level cause engine warning light to come on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

desertfox

would low water level cause engine warning light to come on

Post by desertfox »

As other post,engine warning light came on,only thing i noticed when arriving at work was water level looked below minimum.

Could this cause it?

Ta
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A strong possibility - the underlying problem being why the water level is down - when was it last checked and found to be OK?
desertfox

Post by desertfox »

hi and tnx,i topped it up and checked it about 4 weeks ago,it has been extremely hot and wondered if that was something to do with it,i can see any leaks and oil looks fine.

could you please tell me if i can get the light to go out any how so i can keep an eye on it and see whta happens.

Thanks Gary
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is nothing serious or recurring then it will go out on it's own after a few (3, usually) restarts.

If it doesn't then it needs investigating. If you are losing coolant, there can be a few reasons, some trivial, others more serious.

With the engine warmed up and running, check underneath for drips.

With the engine stopped but up to temperature, check for leaks from the radiator, hoses and particularly the bleed vents.

If nothing, start the engine from cold, remove the radiator cap and as it warms up check for bubbles rising in the radiator.

Also see if you can detect any strange smells* in the cabin whilst driving, or misting of the windscreen.

*Some say curry but I have never had curry that smells like that - I'd be sending it back if it did.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If the problem is not recurring, than after about forty-odd starts the light will go out immediately you turn the key.

Other than such an option, consider the "Lexia Locations" thread, to see if someone near you can help for a mutually agreeable price...