engine warning light help please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

desertfox

engine warning light help please

Post by desertfox »

Hi All

Today driving to work on motorway about 65mph,noticed engine warning light had come on,car drives the same as normal.

What is the likely cause of this,and can you reset anything to clear the light so i can see if it comes on again?

If you can what is the procedure please?

Help me if you can (xsara 1.4lx y reg).
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

The trick here is to get the car plugged into a Lexia diagnostic unit so you can find out what the problem is! :shock:

The warning light is just that, an indicator that something is failing, has failed or requires replacement or adjustment. That is your next course of action.

H, :roll:
desertfox

Post by desertfox »

thanks for reply,understood,but for now i wanted to know how i can reset it and get rid of light if poss.

Pleassseeee
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

See my reply above!

Was the light that came on the engine management light (yellow), sometimes refered to as the 'K' light or the red "STOP" light?

If it was the former, you need to get the diagnostic system checked.

If it was the latter, you need to heed the instruction "STOP" and either get the problem resolved or get somebody competent to fix it, as driving the car in this condition may be dangerous, to occupants or the systems in the car.

If your resolution is just to extinquish the lamp and not heed the warnings, remove whatever parts of the dash are needed to gain access and take out the offending lamp. Then you can drive on in complete ignorance. :shock: :shock:

H
Last edited by handyman on 11 Jul 2010, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As handyman says, you really need to link it to a Lexia diagnostic computer to see where the problem lies and help decide where to look for a solution.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

desertfox wrote: for now i wanted to know how i can reset it and get rid of light if poss.
You have to repair the actual fault first.
desertfox

Post by desertfox »

totally understand why its there and it needs repairing,but i am asking can it be reset to clear the light and then i want to see if it returns.

Thanks Gary
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Gary,

The answer is maybe (some can't be cleared if the fault is permanent) but the only way to find out is to read the faults stored first.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Well, that's three of us now have told you the same thing. :evil:

My understanding is that Citroen put these warning lights on the dash to tell a driver that something with the car or its dynamics is faulty. They make the assumption, quite rightly in some cases, that the driver is ignorant of the systems used in the car and how to find and rectify faults.

Desertfox, you have yet to tell us whether the lamp that has illuminated is either the yellow engine management light or the more serious RED "STOP" lamp. In either case, continued driving without rectify a fault usually adds more damage to the systems, thereby increasing the eventual repair costs.

The only way you will extinguish the lamp is by plugging the car into a diagnostic unit, rectifying the fault and then resetting the sensor that illuminated the warning lamp. Quite simple really. :roll: :roll:

Or find the offending lamp and remove it. [-X

H
desertfox

Post by desertfox »

hey guys didnt mean to offend anyone,i understand your advice and thanks.
It is just the engine managment light continuously lit,nothing else.

I will have a look and see if anyone can test it for me like you all suggested.

Im in stafford in anyone knows of whom i can see.

Thanks all
Gaz
daveyhairbear

Post by daveyhairbear »

You can buy simple OBD-2 diagnostic devices from Ebay and, I believe, Halfords.

These should allow you to read the fault code and once the fault is fixed, re-set the light.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have a look on this map to find your nearest Lexia owner.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

daveyhairbear wrote:You can buy simple OBD-2 diagnostic devices from Ebay and, I believe, Halfords.
Sadly, on a Y plate 1.4 a standard OBDII fault code reader is unlikely to work. It may as all petrol engines had to be OBDII compliant by 2001 but I'd not bank on a Y plate Citroen or Pug to be compliant.

Although the diagnostic connector looks the same as a standard OBDII one, the protocols that come out of it are in no way the same and an OBDII reader will not make any sense of them.

A Lexia is the only way to go to accurately tell you what is bringing on the light.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Desertfox, you can try and leave the battery disconnected for about half an hour. If it is an intermitent fault, it may switch the light off, otherwise your only route is Lexia. Only do this if you know your radio code, otherwise it may be a visit to a main dealer to get the code and they sometimes charge for this. :eek1:

Handyman, :wiggle: