Strange Rattle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Strange Rattle

Post by OwenP »

I've just been out in the car (51 406 estate 2.0HDI 90) and noticed an odd rattle.

It is only audible when the window(s) are down, and is only there when at 30-40mph and at or near idle, i.e. coasting or cruising along.

Under acceleration there is nothing and when stopped there is nothing.

From opening different windows, the sound appears to be coming from the right rear of the car. I had a bit of a poke about and couldn't see or feel anything loose.

The only thing that I could possible attribute it to would be the exhuast hitting the heat shield, when looking at this are I noticed there is a rubber oval on the left hand side of the exhuast pipe.

But there isn't on the right hand side

There is no apparent change in the feel of the car. Am I likely to be correct or should be I looking in a bit more depth?
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Some do have 'un-used' hangars on the pipes especially if its not a geniune replacement exhaust pipe. :)

I can't quite make it out from your picture, ensure it does not have a corresponding 'hook' on the car itself (otherwise a missing rubber mount will give noise)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I would be surprised if it is a non genuine exhaust, unless pug main dealers are in the habit of fitting non genuine ones. It has had pretty much all the work done by the same garage it was originally bought from. The previous owner was pretty meticulous about keeping reciepts though so will have a look later.

I couldn't see if there was a hook above it, the fuel tank was in the way of getting a good look, I was stopped in a car park trying to work out what the rattle was, and didn't fancy getting the jack out or trusting it. I will however try and have a better look over the weekend when I can try and get it up on ramps, or at least a proper trolley jack.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

OwenP wrote:I would be surprised if it is a non genuine exhaust, unless pug main dealers are in the habit of fitting non genuine ones.
My Pug dealer has been giving me the option of non Pug parts since it got out of warranty. The alternative brake pads are a lot better than the original and a lot cheaper.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Homer wrote:
OwenP wrote:I would be surprised if it is a non genuine exhaust, unless pug main dealers are in the habit of fitting non genuine ones.
My Pug dealer has been giving me the option of non Pug parts since it got out of warranty. The alternative brake pads are a lot better than the original and a lot cheaper.
Fair enough, I stand corrected.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

By the looka of the receipts the exhuast has been repaired, but it is unclear which section was repaired the wording on the reciept is:

"Investigate hole in exhaust
supplied and fitted exhaust repair section - cut out exhaust at front - fitted new section with new clamps - carried out visual check"

The part codes then used are 889631 Repair pipe, 171352 CLAMP and SYL8 Clamp. This was done May 2007.

Went out again yesterday and the noise is absent above about 45mph, I don't know if this is due to it being drown out by road and wind noise though.

Unless it has come off further back than I can see there doesn't seem to be a corresponding hook for that unattached hanger.