What is the knack to AL4 autobox removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

What is the knack to AL4 autobox removal

Post by andmcit »

I'm finally about to complete breaking a s2 estate with the AL4 auto adaptive
box and am concerned I'll break something undoing the wrong part of the
visibly complex selector linkage onto the box itself.

As I'm breaking the car do I drop the gear lever selector through and out with
the engine and box when it's hoisted out or is there a simple tab locking the
shoulder on the selector cable as there seems something there according to
service net?

Don't suppose anyone is desperate for a series 2 dashboard as that'd be the
only thing I'm leaking on the shell? Anyone want to make a trailer with the
back half of the mint estate bodyshell!? :shock:

Andrew
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Andrew,

I'll be doing an AL4 gearbox oil change in the morning. Will be able to tell you then...

getting the TC bolts undone will be a game on a TCT engine. As Paul. You need a 16mm socket ground flat and go in the gap at the rear of the engine.

Silly Citroen engineers forgot to specify a half-moon plate
:twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Andrew,

At the gearbox end, the selector cable is attached to a balljoint on the selector arm. Simply prise off. The proper tool is a tapered fork like a balljoint splitter.

Then, to release the cable from the bracket, pull out the forked tab that holds it in. Grab hold of it with a pair of pipe grips and pull sharply upward.

To get the selector quadrant out it is necessary to drop the exhaust and heat shields. Then before anything you need to remove the top assembly that carries the gear legend, park inhibit solenoid and switches. For this the gear knob has to come off and to do that grab hold of it and pull sharply upward. The assembly will then unbolt and can be removed, just leaving the bit carrying the lever and cable underneath in place. This is fixed to the transmission tunnel by four Torx screws accessible from underneath. Access is not good.

then the whole lot drops down, complete with cable, which can then be withdrawn from the engine bay.

Not the simplest of jobs at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...