1999 Dispatch 1.9d intermittent starting.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bail100106

1999 Dispatch 1.9d intermittent starting.

Post by bail100106 »

Hi everybody. I've just bought a 1999 Dispatch 1.9d with an intermittent starting problem. When starting (after glowplug lights gone out) it will fire then instantly die. and will take several tries before it fires. I was told by the dealer not to use any throttle when starting (which I do). When it doesn't start it is parked on the flat or facing up a hill.
Dealer has just replaced glowplugs and says he has found no problems with it. I don't believe him. Last owner only had the van 11 months before trading in. There is now only a quarter tank of diesel in it and its got harder to start.
I think it may be a fuel problem as dealer says last owner had an extra hand priming pump fitted and last owner sometimes had to use it.
It always starts fine when the engines warm. I haven't tried starting it when its been facing down a hill.
I've got 7 weeks warranty left but dealers denying theres any problems (starts every time for him!!?). Please help.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It's almost certainly air ingress (there are other causes such as valve clearances but that's rare on the 1.9, only the 1.8 usually has that)

I thought of air ingress before I even read as far as you said the previous owner had fitted another primer.

Over time, air is being sucked into the pipework which is why its more difficult to start after its been stood for a few hours. They very rarely leak fuel out so you will not see any leak as such.

Tracing it can be a pain though. To confirm this, before you start it again (after its been stood ages so its going to be a pain to start) , open the bonnet, Find the primer (the black plastic 'bulb') and give it half a dozen presses. It might go hard, if so stop. If not stop after about 6 pumps anyway.

Now go and try to start it (wait for glowplugs as normal) no pedal, it might start a bit easier.

If it does that usually confirms air ingress.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
bail100106

Post by bail100106 »

I've tried the hand pump twice so far. The first time it went hard after about 6 pumps and it started, the second time the pressure didn't build up even after about 10 pumps and it still struggled to start.
When the engine does get started it runs fine.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Seems fairly clear it's a fuel starvation problem. Two possibilities; air ingress and/or blocked tank filter.

Assuming your Dispatch has an XUD9 engine (1.9) with a Bosch injection pump (like a Xantia):

- There's no separate fuel lift pump - the whole fuel system from tank to injection pump is under negative pressure (the Bosch pump sucks fuel through both filters). So you'll only see a leak if it's between the priming bulb and the pump and you've squeezed the priming bulb until it's really hard (even then you may not see it). I'd start by checking both filters (drain the filter on the engine into a clear container (e.g. small mineral water bottle) to see if there water in the fuel.

Please don't ask me where the tank filter is on a Dispatch, I haven't got a clue (beyond "in the tank".)

- If either filter is dirty, it makes the pump's job twice as hard and increases the likelyhood of air being sucked in.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)