Headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fdj12
My Cars:

Headlights

Post by fdj12 »

I have just done my weekly check of oil water etc etc etc and checking the lights I notice that when i try to switch headlights on all i get is the side lights, if i flick main beam everything is ok, but take main beam off all i get is side lights. IS it..........
a. Fuses if so any idea which one as I dont have handbook.
b. Bulbs.
c. Has the switch gone.
or all of the above LOL.
Thanks in advance.
Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dave -
Sorry - but it's hard to remember all the car models each individual member here owns/drives [:D][:D]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

At a guess, I'd say possibly the dip switch has faulty contacts which are not making contact on the low beam.
Try wriggling the dipper switch when in the low beam position & see if the lights try to come on. Can on some switches just be loose innards but usually they are a non repairable item requiring replacement.
Alan S
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Anders! It's a Xantia 1800 SX (look at his previous entry!)
If it was an XM I'd definitly say it was a relay sticking, but I don't know if the Xantia has the same set up.
//NiSk
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ok NiSk - missed that.
Older cars (like BX/CX) have no fuses in the lights circuits.
The Xantia belongs to a newer generation of cars equipped with fused lights circuits.
Furthermore each side's headlamp got's each own separate fuses for main/dip - and the wiring for each side's headlamps are separate all the way from the fuse box.
Funny thing is, that the instrument panel indicators are working directly off the lighting switch - i.e. BEFORE the fuses.
This means that the panel indicators can tell you the lighting switch is in fact working, but the fuses and/or the headlamp bulbs/cabling may still be at fault. Unlikely to have both side's headlamps circuits failing at one time though, since they also have separate earth wirings. But still could be a combination of 2 independent fault types each headlamp - like a blown dip (bulb) in one headlamp & a blown fuse for the other.
The fuses are :
RHS main (hi beam) : F12
LHS main (hi beam) : F13
RHS dip (low beam) : F14
LHS dip (low beam) : F15
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Not trying to switch fogs on by mistake, same stalk easily done[:I]
Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

[:D][:D] We've all tried that - have'nt we [:D][:D]
fdj12
My Cars:

Post by fdj12 »

OOPS>>>>>>>>>>Sorry Anders, about the make and model, but thanks for the advice, I will try.
Dave