806 Engine stopping

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

james5353

806 Engine stopping

Post by james5353 »

Hi,
I've a P reg 806 2.0l Petrol, it's generally run fine for the year or so I've had it, but just lately the engine appears to cut out for no reason at random intervals. I've changed spark plugs and fuel filter, it can go for miles with no problem and then suddenly starts cutting out again. Generally after misbehaving for a few minutes it seems fine again.

Most annoying as I can not consistently replicate the fault.

The vehicle had the immobilizer removed a couple of years ago

Wonder if there might be some obvious problem??
Last edited by james5353 on 28 Jun 2010, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Not off hand no, (fuel filter was the obvious thing but you've changed that)

It's worth having it plugged into a Lexia / Diag to see if any faults have been stored that may give a clue as to the cause.

I'm assuming it will have a fault code stored as its intermittent it would be very difficult to diagnose otherwise...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
james5353

Post by james5353 »

Thanks very much for the reply, I think getting the codes out will have to be the next step.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

James, welcome to the forum :)

I have (very) intermittently had this on one of my 2.0i Activas. Same engine I believe, bar the turbo...

The engine would cut, normally at 70mph,and then almost immediately restart. One clue was that when it happened all the dials on the dash fell to zero and the warning lights briefly came on.

I've not 100% solved it but since swapping the double injection relay it seems to have gone away. The double injection relay is the big one that sits next to the engine ECU and powers the ECU, injectors and fuel pump. Nowadays I always keep a spare double injection relay in the glove box.

Next time it happens, listen for the fuel pump stopping briefly.

It's almost certainly electrical.

Another possibility is an intermittent in the ignition switch.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
james5353

Post by james5353 »

CitroJim,
Many thanks for your reply, this sounds almost identical - often the engine just cuts out very briefly and then restarts with the attendant warning lights. I shall have a look in the direction you suggest - much appreciated.