Troubleshooting 205XS fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ijdod
My Cars:

Troubleshooting 205XS fuel consumption

Post by ijdod »

Hi, I'm having some problems with my 205 XS fuel comsumption. On a 160 km highway run at 120 kph, it guzzled down 16 liters of fuel. Dunno what the mpg on that is, but it's too high.
Engine is a monopoint injected TU3M-KDY, which seems to be running fine. Only issue is when it's cold; it starts just fine, but has some reluctance to accellerate the first few kilometers. This problem goes away when the engine is warm.
All 'normal' user replacables have been replaced recently; spark plugs, oil/fuel/air filters, oil, distributor/rotor. Oil comsumption has been negliable so far.
Does anybody have any idea's or tips what to look for or check?
cheers
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Get a fault code read out done, it may be worth paying attention to the Lambda sensor, and or the coolant temperature sensor as the problem seems to be temperrature related.
Ross
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Well thats 28.5 mpg @ 75mph if you think thats excessive at that speed, whip the plugs out and have a look at their colour, should be light greyish brown if its getting the right quantity of fuel/air.
If its getting too much they might be going a bit black.
Have the timing checked perhaps.
Dave
ijdod
My Cars:

Post by ijdod »

Plugs 1 and 4 (outermost) are quite black, up to and including the central insulator. 2 and 3 are white (they're all quite new, about 500 km), but the metal bit (with the thread) is quite black.