rear spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citrov6
My Cars:

rear spheres

Post by citrov6 »

I feel the rear spheres need a change they visibly look in a bad way. I can see 3 when I look under, but are there more? I know of the 2 strut ones, and the third I am guessing either the anti sink or rear accumulator? I'm not sure since citroen changed them the once and I haven't since
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

On a V6 there are four sphere's, one for each wheel strut, one Hydractive and the anti-sink.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

hmm, mine are 1998 s2's, and i've only found a page about a 1996 s1 on http://www.kolumbus.fi/perhe_pitkanen/xw/spheres.htm

For that focussing on the rear set of spheres as I was, there are the two struts, anti sink and a rear control sphere, possibly for the steering and braking, I don't know.

For the front I know of the soft mode sphere, accumulator and two struts.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Never gauge sphere condition on looks alone. Ones, especially on the rear, that look like cannonballs, can be fine whereas the most shiny and pristine looker can be as flat as a pancake.

The only sure way to know the health of a sphere is to pop it on a tester.

S1 and S2 spheres are all the same and can be got from GSF as normal rear Xantia hydractives. The V6 is not special in this respect.

If in doubt, swap 'em out.

The rear centre hydractive sphere is harder to see as it nestles up in the top of the subframe, pointing downward at a 45 degree angle. The spare wheel carrier makes it hard to see on a casual glance.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

I got under it last night and did see the 4th one behind the spare wheel like you said. I'm doing them all since its been 3 years. They are covered in rust spots so they maybe fine but looking at them it does not inspire confidence.

Also the soft sphere is leaking a bit at the front, I feel it is probably just the seal since it doesn't do so much work. Is it worth looking at