c5 2.2hdi fuel pipe union leaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

veralum
My Cars:

Post by veralum »

changed my fuel fliter the yesterday and nnow fuel is leaking from the quick release pipe from the fuel pump, its on properly and seals look ok. can't think why its doing it. bought parts disc but its not showing pics! so can't identify part number of union and stiff plastic pipe, any ideas?
veralum
My Cars:

Post by veralum »

sorted! went to local pipe shop and bought diesel fuel pipe and replaced it with 2 clips
alderman
My Cars:

Post by alderman »

I had a similar experience recently; the fuel input to the filter ‘quick release’ mechanism released itself whilst I was doing 60mph down the motorway. It apparently did not come completely off the male plastic inlet but diesel fuel fell down the front of the engine and went under the car body, atomising as it passed along deposited itself on my rear windscreen (estate model).

At the time I lost no power and was mystified (literally) how moisture was being deposited just on my rear screen?

Being on the motorway and reluctant to pull onto the hard-shoulder, I progressed a couple of miles and pulled in at a service station to examine the problem.

On examination, whilst the angled connector had not come completely off the inlet connector of the filter, thus there must have been sufficient fuel still passing to the filter to enable the engine to run.

I just simply pushed the connector back on and heard the ‘click’ of the quick release mechanism, and that was that, all back to normal, except for the stench of diesel and the loss of half a tank (35 ltres) of fuel. Once home I got paranoid and fitted a tie-rap around the angled connector and the main filter body, as although this is the first time in five years since I owned the car, I now don’t trust quick release mechanisms. Trouble is the car is full of them!!

Regards
Allan

(C5=‘02 Exclusive SE 2.2 HDi Auto Estate 151k-miles)
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I suspect that the problem with quick release pipe fittings is that it is not always clear just how to release them. Somebody then applies a little "judicous" force to seperate them, coupling goes back together o.k but it is now not just quick release but also "easy" release at the slightest provocation.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
veralum
My Cars:

Post by veralum »

i've dealt with quick release clips many times and this one seemed fine, went on and off properly, thought it was possibly an unseated seal, but they looked ok and in good condition. its a mystery! but now all replaced by pipe