'99 Xantia 1.9TD - rough running/power loss

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hopkinse

'99 Xantia 1.9TD - rough running/power loss

Post by hopkinse »

Hi,
To add to my woes with hydraulic leak, the car is now running very rough and has drastically lost power. The car broke down a few days ago - it started making a noise which i had put down to the aux drive belt starting to self-destruct. The timing cover side of the belt had lost a few inches of the first rib so I got a local garage to replace it along with the starter motor which had decided to give up the ghost. When I picked-up the car i noticed that it sounded pretty loud, i.e. it sounded a bit more like a bag of bolts than usual, and when driving it stalled a couple of times and is very low on power - couldn't get out of 2nd gear uphill and its smokier than usual. It feels kind of like a petrol engine when the ignition timing is way off. I'm guessing possibly a bit of the aux drive belt got under the timing cover but I'm open to any other suggestions. I'm wondering how easy it would be for me to check the timing - do i need to remove the aux drive belt to get the timing cover off?

cheers,

Ewan.
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

sounds like the timing is out, usually caused by the aux belt self destructing and finding a way into the cover making the belt jump. Get the timing reset with a new belt :)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd agree your timing belt is probably out a tooth or slipped. You might be lucky and it could be unrelated (injector sensor failed so running at advance) but that would probably give some other problems too.

You should be able to get the top cover parts off without taking the anc belt off (I'm assuming its like a 406) to get a pin in the flywheel then see where the cam and pump are. Maybe even some fibres from the anc belt are jammed in a tooth of the cambelt.

Obviously you will need to take the anc belt off to rectify it as the lower cover section needs to come off, but it may be possible to check (basically) with the anc belt and lower cover in place.

Having said that, if it was me I would want to have a proper look anyway to see what's going on.

I'd advise not running it till at least you have had a look to be honest.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree, certainly sounds like timing. The only oddity is that low power and smoke are associated with the injection timing being retarded which usually makes the engine difficult to start and quiet rather than noisey, I'm wondering if your noise it due to the valves hitting the pistons. An inspection is definitly needed.

Peter