Berlingo clutch cable / pedal query.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paul in normandy

Berlingo clutch cable / pedal query.

Post by paul in normandy »

DW8 engine - BE3? transmission - 1998 Multispace.
We have had an occasional (once or twice every month or so) problem with the clutch pedal going to the floor and staying there. Today it got much worse and I had to pull the string tied round the clutch pedal (who says we can't bodge a temporary solution :) ) almost every time I changed gear.
Have now managed to get the clutch cable out - not too difficult as its LHD, cable seems OK with no significant wear or any fraying.
The clutch pedal assembly has also been removed - when you press the pedal down it stays there as if the spring assembly on it is 'over centring' and not allowing the pedal to come back up. I've got nothing to compare it with so I'm not sure if its the pedal assembly at fault or if the cable itself has stretched.
Before I go off exploring the local scrappers has anyone got any thoughts on it?
The clutch was renewed by the previous owners garage in Feb 2009 - looks as if the cable might predate that though!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

As this is almost a Partner too, I wonder if these share the 'assistance' spring they fitted to later 306's :?:

It lists two for LHD Partner vans:

BE3 LHD UP TO 0 7972
BE3 LHD SINCE 0 7973

Pics of a LHD Partner van: (although I do not see any immediate difference)

Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
paul in normandy

Pedal does have a helper spring - http://s.864.photobucket.com/albums/ab2 ... o%20pedal/
Whatever is supposed to provide the return spring effect on the pedal assembly does not appear to work - is it the spring on the outside of the clutch cable as that did appear to curve a bit and I wondered whether it might have been binding or whether the spring itself may have got weak? [/img]
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

That's the assistance spring, it actually looks more or less the same as a 306 one from memory.

That's there to help you get over the fulcrum point (if that's the right phrase?) where the spring 'helps' to lighten loading.

What's the cable end at the transmission like ? , its almost certainly self-adjusting but the ratchet adjuster in the cable might be failing hence this happening.

You can pull the release arm on some and have it move back to see if the cable adjuster is ok.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
paul in normandy

Been up to see Alain the local 2cv guru about something else - he had a look at the bits - oh its the same as a 306, its the cable, the usual sharp intake of breath, they are useless! Make sure you get the right size cable.