pugbus now going 'M'HDI

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pugbus
My Cars:

pugbus now going 'M'HDI

Post by pugbus »

:) Hi I've been running and converting VW campers to pug power for over twenty years , and have now decided to rebuild a HDi engine to my specification ,
Will be looking to upgrade to larger turbo , one from a Boxer/Relay HDi , by the look of these they appear slightly larger - does anyone know the difference + what RPM the turbo kicks in at between different turbo's ? Other option is to go VNT

machined some injectors to work with a unique pump and support bracket that I build ,
back in a short while in the mean time here's a pic

pugbus
My Cars:

Post by pugbus »

:D All looking good after fitting machined two stage injectors ,tomorrow I'll prime the fuel- fit adaptor plate with starter - then put some water through with a hose pipe , I'll then be able to start it on the floor :)
should be running at about 120BHP
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

is that an IDI pump on a 2.8 HDI engine?

I wonder if that would be a good engine swap option for my 604 V6 petrol when the engine finally expires.

It might be better than the XD2/XD3 boat anchor than was fitted by Peugeot.

Does the starter motor go on the front?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hold on, an HDi is a DI engine and the VP20 pump you have there is expressly designed to work with IDI pintle injectors at a relatively low pressure compared to that used with DI multi-hole injectors.

This is rater interesting :D Are you using pintle-type injectors in a DI engine or have you done something else?

I'm on the edge of my seat here! Please do tell!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

the VW van guys do that all the time
they get a TDI (common rail) engine and just use a TD (IDI) pump to shove the diesel in
that's how Mondeo turbo diesels worked as standard
pugbus
My Cars:

Post by pugbus »

:D Hi, The pump started life as an IDI but to look at it it looks just like a di pump from a Kia sedona + rover 200 ,
I've built this pump to a similar internal spec to the mechanically operated VAG TDi 115bhp pumps that I build , so has a much steeper camplate , larger distributor and head , governor from a normally aspirated to give extra 500rpm , different parts to change advance curve , plus a number of other modifications making it unique to this engine with working pressure above 300 Barr :)

Injectors are from a direct injection turbo engine , I searched through many types of injectors , problem being the ones that fit best were only single stage ( meaning more stress and sounding like an old transit Di )

I then found some injectors with 5 hole nozzles that worked two stage 220-300 Barr , I had these machined so they'd fit into the HDi

Engine to start with is a DW10 , 2.0 Litre but thinking to fitting a 2.2HDi ?? at a later date

starter bolts onto one of my adaptor plates at the front of the engine as it would be on the PSA gearbox :)

The VW TDi engines that the bus guys use aren't common rail , they have a Bosch VE37 pump that's operated by ECU same idea as the last 406 2.1 td's ( Lucas )
- A lot using Land Rover TDi pumps on VAG TDi's but not the best LOL!!
Last edited by pugbus on 26 Jun 2010, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
dieselnutjob

Re: pugbus now going 'M'HDI

Post by dieselnutjob »

pugbus wrote:machined some injectors to work with a unique pump
that is interesting. I'm betting that they are VW TDI injectors as they are a DI and known to work with a VP pump.

Is the original engine a common rail? I suppose there's no reason why you can't get low pressure DI injectors to work in a common rail engine if you can get them to physically fit.
pugbus
My Cars:

Post by pugbus »

:) Hi, the VW TDi injectors are to large a diameter just after the nozzle fixing ,meaning the first 16mm is the same at 16.90mm , the hdi head would require opening up 3.04mm to a depth of 46mm? from what I can remember , there are others that will fit but require different nozzles or more sealing washers . some late transit ones have a clamping collar that would just require the hdi injec holes threading to fit - less chance of copper seals failing
yes the engine I'm building was a common rail ,local breakers I know well have these in with no injectors or high pres pumps - so can be bought cheap , the lower pressure Di injectors will work just the same as in other TDi type engines , had the engine turning over and two injectors working , so looks as though I'll have to strip the other two down to clean them :)
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

pugbus wrote:I then found some injectors with 5 hole nozzles that worked two stage 220-300 Barr , I had these machined so they'd fit into the HDi
Don't be shy :D tell us what car you got the injectors from
pugbus
My Cars:

Post by pugbus »

This is where the problem is as I've found two that are faulty , I got them from a diesel fitters mate after searching through boxes of injectors and you've guessed it there was no indication on the box to say what there from ,( they have a machined grove like transit/bmw ones for the clamping collar but when checked the part number didn't match up ) so I'll have to search the part numbers another way to see what comes up ,

for the injectors that aren't working it looks like I'll have to strip them down to put in the ultrasonic cleaner then recheck - if no good will replace the nozzles , I was hoping to have had it running today but was called out
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Not sure how the 2.2 would go as they are all 16v units and they have their injectors welded into the head like the 2.0hdi 16v boys find when they come to replace them :(
pugbus
My Cars:

Post by pugbus »

:oops: yes nearly had a serious accident removing stuck injectors once , uncoupled the pipe to one then started the engine ( should have placed an old coat over engine ) put it this way it went with an almighty bang and the injector took some finding :roll:
anyone know if 2.0hdi head will fit a 2.2hdi , suppose a check of head gaskets would answer this ?
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

There were some 2.2's with an 8v head, I can't for the life of me remeber which cars\vans they came from. Servicebox should reveal the answers :)
2003 Xsara HDi 110 - Commuting Hack

http://www.rossy.org.uk/ - 205 Track car progress
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

They would likely be the relay sized vans as i dont ever revall seeing one being in a C5 or 406 :( they were of the 2001>circa 2004/2005 age as it was a short run as the 16v was meant to be a much better unit with its new top end but the dates may be a bit out :)
pugbus
My Cars:

Post by pugbus »

:D :D :D Got another set of injectors machined , Set timing up to the book for a tdi , bled injectors and this is the first start up , I'm really pleased at how she sounds , sits nice and steady , just need to fit new fuel injector pipes , pos variable vain turbo or twin turbo , then adaptor plate to fit my camper , check out this video :D