C5 braking and keys

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fosseym

C5 braking and keys

Post by fosseym »

Hi I'm the proud owner of a 53 reg C5 2.0HDI Exclusive having passed my 97 reg Xantia on to my brother !
Two querys, The car came without a remote, is it worth buying a used one from ebay, how hard is it to reprogramme ?
Also, the car pulls very slightly to the right under light braking, then seems to pull back left when the brake is released....Any ideas what might cause this ?
Cheers
Mark
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One of our resident Lexia Masters may be able to reprogram the key for you as long as you have the access code on the card that comes with the documentation, otherwise you will have to get the codes from a dealer, some give them away, others charge £15~20 for them.

The brake problem is more than likely a sticking caliper slider or piston as long as the brakes operate normally otherwise.
Strip the calipers and clean them thoroughly and apply a smear of brake grease or Coppaslip® to the surfaces that slide over one another prior to reassembly.
Check the condition of the discs and pads at the same time - you will almost certainly find that the nearside pads are significantly worn compared to the offside.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Regarding buying a plip off ebay. I bought one which was identical to the one I already had. I'd already changed the blade to fit my car and then I took it to a Cit dealer and asked him to programme it to the car. He wasn't able to. Eventually I had a mobile locksmith look at it. He managed to get it to start, but found it impossible to get it to work the central locking.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

JohnD wrote:but found it impossible to get it to work the central locking.
That's strange because that's the easy bit. Put the key into the ignition and press the lock button while turning the key to the ignition position. Wait about 5 seconds and then turn it back again.

The remote plip should now operate the locking. If it doesn't then, without a working remote already, you don't know where to start. It could be the battery in the plip, a faulty circuit board in the plip or something wrong with the receive circuitry in the car.

I'm not sure but I think that some locksmiths have a machine which can tell if a plip is transmitting.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Does anyone know where to get the blank blades for the remotes, I am looking at getting another one for my C5 (secondhand) and would need to have a new blade cut for it.
Also what is the procedure for programming the transponder chip ( i have the secret code card and a Lexia)
Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

h2ocooler wrote:Does anyone know where to get the blank blades for the remotes
I don't know where to get a blank one from but I had a blade cut at a "proper" locksmiths using the four digit code off the card. I could probably have bought the blank blade off him but to be honest for the £8 it cost it was worth it for him to cut it.
h2ocooler wrote:Also what is the procedure for programming the transponder chip ( i have the secret code card and a Lexia)
Rob
If you mean to pair the key to the car (rather than the remote plip) it's in one of the early menus of the Lexia. You have to put how many keys you're going to pair and then follow the instructions that the Lexia gives you with regards to inserting the keys into the ignition barrel.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​