Fuel Pump not working - Xsara - ***UPDATE***

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Father Ted

Fuel Pump not working - Xsara - ***UPDATE***

Post by Father Ted »

I've got a 2001 Citroen Xsara 2.0 HDI. It's not starting - basically when the ignition is turned on the fuel pump does not start whirring - indicating that fuel is not making it to the injectors and hence it won't start - the engine is turning over though.

Initial investigation has shown there are no blown fuses and that NO POWER is getting to the fuel pump underneath the DS rear seat. There is a clicking sound behind dashboard when the ignition is turned on. This to me indicates that a relay is faulty.

Any ideas as to whether this is something I can fix myself or leave into a garage? I've got no fault codes so I'm a bit in the dark. I've a feeling that the clicking noise is a relay for switching the fuel pump on - but I'm not sure.

I did notice that the clicking behind the dash lasts for roughly the same period of time as the pump pressurisation. The speedo needle can also be seen to 'vibrate' whilst this is happening.

I've got quite a few tools at home and access to ramps and a few knowledgable people - but I really don't want to be (-expletive removed-) about if it is an expert only job.

Anyone know what might the fault be or what the clicking sound behind that dash might be upon turning on the ignition? I've done a quick trawl of Google but I can't find anything relating to this issue.

The fuel cut off switch does not seem to have been activated as the hazard lights were not blinking. I've tried resetting it anyway but to no avail.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Father Ted on 19 Jul 2010, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If you look behind the ECU there are a couple of big round interconnectors, twist them apart & get some contact cleaner spray in there & re check it. The fuel pump/injection relay is under the bonnet.
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

Hi - thanks for the reply.

Tried that to no avail. Any other ideas before I resort to the garage?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I had this problem 4 or 5 years ago and despite repeated cleaning of every connector still couldn't get a reliable fuel delivery.

In the end I bypassed the problem by rewiring the pump through a fused relay from an ignition fed source and battery live feed. I put the relay very close the fuse box so I could revert back if need . IT's still that way all these years later!

Be aware that if you do go down this route that the safety mechanism that cuts out the fuel pump supply after about 10 seconds if the engine isn't started won't be there and you MUST remember not to leave the ignition key in the "On" position.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

No fault codes in the ECU. :?
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

I’ve had this looked at now and I’ve been told it needs a new ECU due to water ingress. I’ve been told the new ECU is roughly £700. To replace with a second hand ECU means that I need to get one paired with ignition barrel, door barrels, keys and a dash.

This would be almost as costly as a new ECU replacement with no gaurantee of how long it will last or whether it will work.

What is in the dash that requires changing when replacing an ECU? I take it there is an immobliser chip in the key fob which operates something in the dash?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Would BBA-Reman be cheaper for an ECU overhaul?
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

Where are BBA-Reman?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Taunton, maybe?

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?c ... ment_units

I've not heard much complaint about them - that's not praise, but a noted absence of discontented murmurs...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Before you spend ANY money on an ECU try a simple test.

Run a wire from the live of the battery to the fuel pump and see whether it starts working. Then, start the engine and see if you can drive around normally.

If it does then you can think of doing the mod that I did some 80,000 miles ago.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

Got power to pump now but it's not working. Diagnosis is that water penetrated the ECU and melted part of the loom. ECU is needing to be replaced.

Addo - that company on stock ECU's for 99-00 citroen xsara's. Mine is an 01 car. Also are those ECU's unlocked?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I believe the ECU is coded to the body mocule; to make a swap work you need the body computer, the ECU and the lock transponder (wrapped around the ignition switch) plus the keyset.

Should your donor kit have a higher mileage, this will be permanently locked into the dash display.

If an automagic, you'll also need the gearbox ECU.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

addo wrote: If an automagic, you'll also need the gearbox ECU.
The gearbox ECU is not coded so you would'nt need that. You don't need to replace the dash, the only issue is milage transfer if that bothers you.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Handy to know. I've been following Tony's thread elsewhere on the Forum, as my AL4 has some niggles.