What a pleasant surprise...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

What a pleasant surprise...

Post by MikeT »

... to wake up on a saturday morning to this...

I assume it was done by the rediculously parked curtain-sider van that I parked next to as it's not there today.

It was the only bay left for me and I was concerned this might happen as he'd parked in a corner bay and would have to turn tight to get out.

If it's a resident, then I will find him and have words but I've never seen the van before this week and we have people from the next road using our bays too.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

:(

I have (admittedly not that bad) returned to mine to find various scratches / dents and damage on more than one occasion.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

If you were parked at your home (in residential parking) then what on earth was a curtain-sider doing parked there?

I've noticed that more and more residential areas and their parking areas nare being used to park up commercial vehicles for the night. Seems that anyone who has any sort of a job these days has a white van to do it in. No doubt I'll soon have one as some ordinance is passed that lunch boxes cannot be carried in private cars.

Ity's all a bit of a pestilence on our society and makes many places look scruffy and rough.

Commercial vehicles of all descriptions should be operated from depots and not parked in residentail areas. End of.

Aploogies to any white vanist reading this but I loathe and detest them littering up residential areas. I speak from experience, having suffered Merc. Sprinter living opposite me for two years and causing chaos.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Since someone took out the side of my Xantia, effectively writing it off, I usually take a photo of adjacent cars if there looks like being any problems with them dinging my C5.

Naturally, it collects the dings when I have neglected to record the nearby cars :(
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Agreed over commercial vehicles being parked in residence bays, Jim. I had cause to call BT over a neighbour (ages back at a previous residence) who would often park it outside our house. Their (BT) policy is to let the drivers take them home to save on overnight parking insurance and storage space.

There's a resident from the next street that uses our bays for both his too-loud Scooby and/or Tyreland transit. Even the residents across the road use our bays. What's the point in having rules if they're not enforced?

This type of inconsiderate/poor driving/parking is one of the main reasons I feel makes owning a concourse-condition vehicle a total waste of time for me. As the public parking bays are no longer made wide enough, dings and scratches are almost guaranteed, sometimes with me still sitting in my car!

Fortunately, I tracked down this culprit - a neighbour - and his wife assures me he'll contact me when he gets home. From that, I assume the driver simply didn't realise he'd caught my bumper (would have been his N/S). I knew I was at risk when I parked but that was the only bay left for me so I parked almost on the line to my left, with the nose angled away from his giving as much room as I could afford. Perhaps if I hadn't done so, he would have been boxed in and forced him to ask me to move mine?

So question now is, where can I get the trim from (assuming main stealer is silly money) and how much would it cost to fill the gouge (appx 6"L x 1"W x 1/2" deep) in the bumper? I'm no good when it comes to bodywork.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

So question now is, where can I get the trim from (assuming main stealer is silly money) and how much would it cost to fill the gouge (appx 6"L x 1"W x 1/2" deep) in the bumper? I'm no good when it comes to bodywork.
That would be pretty much his problem, don't you think?
Maybe a replacement bumper from a scrapyard if one is available in satisfactory condition?
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

just the trim part is £35 from citroen
part number is 7452 F3
(assuming you don't have headlight washers)
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Jim i agree with you as i have the same problem :evil:

I have to do the same thing Steve,but we shouldnt have to :(

Its the same with people that drive jeeps :grr: They seem to think they own the road and that they can drive down the middle of the road, the constant intimidation,taking up 2 spaces instead of 1 it annoys me to say the least

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
spider

Post by spider »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:Jim i agree with you as i taking up 2 spaces instead of 1 it annoys me to say the least

Dave
I don't mind them parking and taking up two spaces, as long as they purchase two parking tickets :)
Andy.

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Thats a real shame, and very annoying the driver didnt stop.

Although with such a large vehicle and a small bump there might be a chance he doesn't know he hit it.

Shouldn't be too much of a difficult repair, a new/replacement bumper chrome - dealers or scrap yard and a quick repaint of the bumper, shouldnt need much in the way of filling just to sort that out. Probably somewhere around £100 for the paint alone i would think, for a decent job.

Sourcing a replacement bumper would be costly and chances or it being it good condition and the right colour are slim.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Bumper

Post by dieseldoggy »

Edwardes &son@Billericay had one in that colour and type other week.has looks standard colour they use? he does mail order aswell
xantia 19td estate 96-7
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

Sorry to read this has happened to you
I do hope you get to catch whoever done it
:(
Regards
Tim

03 Citroen C5 2.0 110 HDI VTR Mauritius Blue 109K
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I would like to say the culprit had come round and 'fessed up but apparently he did know he caught my car yet chose not to leave a note or ask his wife to notify me (as he had to go to work).

Anyway, he did come round and promised to cover whatever the bill is. No offer to get the repairs done. No apology, just a promise to pay.
spider

Post by spider »

MikeT wrote:No offer to get the repairs done. No apology, just a promise to pay.
Get a quote from a main dealer then :)

You could (technically) report them to the law for failing to stop after an accident etc as damage was caused ;) , I seem to remember some wording in the Road Traffic Act saying you should stop and provide details for any damage to any other vehicle or something.

Although it may be too late for that and I think the law would not be that interested to be honest for said damage :( , just something to think about mentioning if they grumble about the payment at a later time maybe.
Andy.

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

It always makes me very suss if people do this.

Check the vehicle is insured with ASKMID and then go to the dealers for the quote. if they get stroppy just say you need their insurance company details.

If they don't give them to you ASKMID can provide them for a small fee.

Phone them and say you wish to make a claim from that persons policy as they hit you and drove off :)

I have claimed 2 times by going to their insurance in the last 5 years this way. no need to pay out, just fill in the form they send and get quotes.

1st worked out nearly 2k for a C2, new headlamp, bumper and wing and spray in to fix it all.

2nd was auris needed near rear corner fitting, bumper and some mudshield and blending in, that was just under 1.4k